AutoCAD LT Forum Poll

Tuns

AutoCAD LT Forum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. AutoCAD LT Forum

• Yes, I think an AutoCAD LT centralized forum is a good idea.
    • No, I don't think it is necessary for this forum to exist.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Hear Hear. I totally agree, but I also do everything I can to push LT beyond it's supplied interface, using scripts and macro's and batch programming, and I can fully understand why people would buy such products

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tuns

• tzframpton

• neophoible

• steven-g

Software customization is part of what you pay for with full AutoCAD. Autodesk's position is that LT is not customizable beyond what is built into the product.

I was not under the impression this new forum for LT was actually for add-ons and such, but since that's where the focus has been recently, if that's the intent, then I'd say "no", otherwise I'm still not opposed to a dedicated LT forum for users to get LT specific help.

Software customization is part of what you pay for with full AutoCAD. Autodesk's position is that LT is not customizable beyond what is built into the product.

I was not under the impression this new forum for LT was actually for add-ons and such, but since that's where the focus has been recently, if that's the intent, then I'd say "no", otherwise I'm still not opposed to a dedicated LT forum for users to get LT specific help.

Agreed

customization is also a part of LT and that is the point of this thread, but it shouldn't be about commercial products, it is about a place where users can help each other to develop there skills using the available tools, like scripts and macro's but aimed at the resources available in LT.

Whilst agreeing fully with the last two posts of Steve and nestly, I have another view on things. I have used LT, but a long time ago, I have used vanilla AutoCAD and now use Civil 3D as well. It's not that we should go illegal and do things not intended by Autodesk, but it's more that we should push all of the Autodesk products we use to their limits, but legally. I get a certain amount of kick when I write a LISP routine, a VBA macro or a .NET plug in which does something that the Autodesk product cannot do. Autodesk cannot implement every single wish of every single user, so why is it a problem when the user implements it himself. It is not a problem!

This new (?) forum might just allow somebody to do something that is not inbuilt in LT. More power to their elbow and good luck.

And that is the whole point, anytime anyone steps away from the standard menu items, then they are hopefully customizing Autocad in a positive and useful way. Which Autodesk actively encourages by giving us all these different tools. It's one of the reasons that Autodesk stand out from other packages. Just look at the number of threads in the Lisp forum it tops everything except the General forum. If there was a forum specifically aimed at the LT community I think it would help people realize that LT isn't just a poor mans electronic drawing board striped of everything 'useful', it is a really powerful tool, but to get the power out of it you have to adapt it, and that information is scarce. We need an LT forum that challenges people to think 'out of the box', and then use the tools that are in the box to do it.

and that is the whole point, anytime anyone steps away from the standard menu items, then they are hopefully customizing autocad in a positive and useful way. Which autodesk actively encourages by giving us all these different tools. It's one of the reasons that autodesk stand out from other packages. Just look at the number of threads in the lisp forum it tops everything except the general forum. If there was a forum specifically aimed at the lt community i think it would help people realize that lt isn't just a poor mans electronic drawing board striped of everything 'useful', it is a really powerful tool, but to get the power out of it you have to adapt it, and that information is scarce. We need an lt forum that challenges people to think 'out of the box', and then use the tools that are in the box to do it.

Precisely!!!

... then they are hopefully customizing Autocad in a positive and useful way.

...and this should be shared with others.

There is also the AutoCAD Wish List where the needs of normal AutoCAD users are evaluated by Autodesk and sometimes incorporated into future Releases. Such a Forum can only emphasise the needs of LT users.

Your first impression was correct. The new forum was never intended to be anything beyond helping LT users in a legit way. Though there may have been an unwarranted concern expressed, the focus has actually been on not doing things illegally and it seems to me that that focus hasn't changed at all, nor will it. CADTutor is very good about keeping the entire site that way, that is, legitimately focused.

CADTutor is very good about keeping the entire site that way, that is, legitimately focused.
I agree with this. I haven't ever experienced anyone who advocates illegal actions on this board, and any newcomers that do gets moderated immediately. I remember something R. K. McSwain said once... paraphrasing here but basically "you don't need a $5k program called AutoCAD to do what you do - people have been using hand drafting methods for thousands of years and have done through the years." I could not have agreed more and I then realized the legitimacy of purchasing software, even software with a steep price tag. Same principal goes for LT - it's worth every penny depending on your needs and this site will not advocate "gray area" add-ins, and certainly not illegal 3rd party add-ins.

My $0.02 worth. :)

Well at any rate, how can I get David to take notice of this poll? It's obvious the community agrees with it but the trouble now is getting the admin to take notice.

Well at any rate, how can I get David to take notice of this poll? It's obvious the community agrees with it but the trouble now is getting the admin to take notice.

Perhaps ask a moderator to move it from "AutoCAD > General" into "Feedback"?