Large Autocad file Crashed/ "AutoCad Application is not responding" message

Version: Autocad 2010 Full

Has anyone know how to deal with this issue when working with large autocad file shown on pic below?, I am working one large DWG file about 25.7MB, it's got alot of layers, Blocks and more than 25 layout tabs. I got drawing recovery to save my life so many times today, i reduced the size down to 25.7MB by "Purge" to get rid of unused layers and that is the only solution that i use so far, but still keep saying "Not responding" and i have to wait forever and end up i have to close the file. Please share some tips you guys know. thanks

7777.JPG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sengna

• Chilidawg

• edwinprakoso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried -PURGE regapps? (Remember the '-' in front of PURGE).

Is the drawing created by AutoCAD or exported from other software?

Do you have raster images attached to your drawing?

Is 25.7 MB normal for this typical drawing? Or it supposed to be smaller?

Edwinprakoso,

No, i have never used PURGE REGAPPS before, what is the difference from just regular Purge?

-This drawing is created by Autocad 2010, not other software

-In some layout tabs, it has some small images of EQ #(Equipment) and Serial # for each equipment that i copied from Excel and use special paste command in Autocad (I start using Mtext to type one in but for the accuracy copy the number from excel and paste is much faster)

-The total size of this dwg is about right, this is the overall plan view of tons of EQ. there are many layers, blocks and layout tab, the EQ #(Equipment) and Serial # were pasted in layout tabs.

Is there any trick or tips to work with image to keep the file size smaller. Please advice. thanks

There are two versions of the PURGE command. One is called the command line version and it is preceded by a dash like this: -purge.

Type the command as shown, press Enter, then type "R" for Regapps. Purge those first. Repeat but this time do a Purge > All.

Run an Audit on the file and tell AutoCAD to fix any errors it finds.

After the Audit save the file.

Now run the OVERKILL command on the drawing. This will eliminate any duplicate or overlapping lines. Then repeat the above procedure (-Purge and Audit) one more time and finally save the drawing. Quit out of the drawing and check it's properties. What is the file size now?

Any chance you have content in this drawing that was initially created in Microstation?

What are the specs on your computer? If they are minimum that too could explain why you are having problems.

Are you working on a stand alone workstation or off of a network?

What other software is running in the background? Outlook? MS Office? Anti-virus program? Other?

Linetype issues can be found in earlier DWG file formats too they just can't be automatically fixed using the "hotfix" released by AutoDesk. One has to get creative when addressing the problem in previous file formats.

Thanks I will check out that command. I was wonder if I use OVERKILL or PURGE REGAPPS commands, will it damage my drawing.

This drawing is only created by AutoCAD (2004,2007 and 2010), i have never used microstation

The computer runs window 7, 8GB of RAM with Intel Core i3 processor and good graphic card, 6 months ago it got only 4GB of Ram and I even had more crashed on my big file of CAD DWGs. So when added to 8, it helps. This is the stand alone computer not on network.

Yesterday while was working on this drawing, I had Outlook email, internet explorer and window explorer, and excel and word files opened.

Your drawing could already be damaged (corrupted) and perhaps that why it is crashing AutoCAD.

No. The Overkill and -Purge commands will NOT damage your drawing. I have no idea what may have given you that idea.

8GB of RAM, i3 processor and a drawing that is almost 26MB. Yeah, I could see where you might have some problems. Care to answer the remainder of my questions?

After i did purge all this how i did, GO TO Drawing utilities-purge-purge all, and i was confuse how can i do "Run an Audit on the file and tell AutoCAD to fix any errors it finds"

I don't OVERKILL command on my Autocad 2010 i typed in overkill or _overkill It said UNKOWN command, some people told me go-----OVERKILL. Or Express>Modify>Delete Duplicate Objects, i don't have express tool, i tried to bring in from CUI it can't find Overkill or express tools. how can i find?

999.JPG

I ran Regapp command as shown on the top pic and it asked me enter name to Purge????? what is that? and ask me to verify each name to be purged????? wow, am i on the right track?

I know it is full AutoCAD. If there is no option to Load (because it was never installed) it via the CUILOAD command then you will have to add it in via the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature. You will need your installation disk.

Did you first purge Regapps? Yes or No?
sorry post the reply to you earlier but my message was disppear, anyway , i did the PURGE REGAPPS as your advice but i have not used OVERKILL command ( My IT has to install for me) my file drop from 26,533KB to 25,033KB, it helps a little bit, maybe i should find away to use OVERKILL COMMAND.

8GB of RAM, i3 processor and a drawing that is almost 26MB. Yeah, I could see where you might have some problems. Care to answer the remainder of my questions?
what is the step that i should take?

-What should i tell my IT person to install from original autocad disk? They don't have much knowlegde about CAD.

Thanks for all your helps

Original reply before fixing quote tags:

"Did you first purge Regapps? Yes or No?" ReMark

sorry post the reply to you earlier but my message was disppear, anyway , i did the PURGE REGAPPS as your advice but i have not used OVERKILL command ( My IT has to install for me) my file drop from 26,533KB to 25,033KB, it helps a little bit, maybe i should find away to use OVERKILL COMMAND.

"8GB of RAM, i3 processor and a drawing that is almost 26MB. Yeah, I could see where you might have some problems. Care to answer the remainder of my questions?" what is the step that i should take?

-What should i tell my IT person to install from original autocad disk? They don't have much knowlegde about CAD.

Thanks for all your helps

Edited by Cad64
Fixed Quote Tags

Senga, please use the "Reply with Quote", or "Multi Quote", option when quoting someone in your reply. I have fixed the quote tags in your last post. Notice how much cleaner and easier it is to read than your original reply?

To install Express Tools your IT person will need to go to use the Add/Remove Programs feature of Windows which can be found by going to the Control Panel. He will also need to have the original installation disk. Your IT person doesn't need to know anything about AutoCAD to add Express Tools.

BTW...if you are running Win7 then go to the Control Panel, click on the Programs and Features option. At the next screen you'll see the words "Uninstall or Change a Program" at the top of your screen. Under that you'll see a list of programs currently installed on your computer. Navigate to the entry for your version of AutoCAD and highlight it. You should have three options: Uninstall, Change and Repair. Click on Change go from there. It is not a difficult process.

Is this a 2D or 3D drawing?

Why is the file size so large?

Are any xrefs attached?

"[bTW...if you are running Win7 then go to the Control Panel, click on the Programs and Features option. At the next screen you'll see the words "Uninstall or Change a Program" at the top of your screen. Under that you'll see a list of programs currently installed on your computer. Navigate to the entry for your version of AutoCAD and highlight it. You should have three options: Uninstall, Change and Repair. Click on Change go from there. It is not a difficult process.?

Okay, i will inform my IT person"

"Is this a 2D or 3D drawing?"

No, this is just regular 2D site equipment plan view, the reason it's big is bacause it got tons of equipment and i suppose to creat layout tab for each equipment and put the info text for each EQ on layout tab. I started out with copy info from Excel and do Special paste command(Image) i stop using this command now and start using Mtext.

"Why is the file size so large?"

my best guest would be the special paste command as image See Pic below command, but i am not sure

Are any xrefs attached?

No, exrefs but alot of blocks, layers and many layout tabs.

555.JPG