Hyperlinking to DWGs... A few questions...

lamensterms

Hey guys,

Just this morning I had a thought of creating a DWT template containing a bunch of hyperlinks to our job/model directory. The philosophy is that you would start your ACAD session and be presented with a series of links (prepared in the DWT) to various job/drawing directories and models. This would make it easy for the use to simply boot up ACAD, and then they are only 1 or 2 clicks away from accessing their job DWG.

For the most part, setting this up has been pretty easy. But I have a few questions as to ways to smooth out the process even further.

1. Is it possible to remove/disable the hyperlink 'open warning' message when trying to access a DWG via a hyperlink? Please see image below:

Hyperlinking.png

2. Is it possible to enable single click access to hyperlinks? This template/launcher DWT will be the only drawing in our office to utilise hyrperlinks, and I would like not to need the CTRL+CLICK to access the linked files/folders. This is of course not a huge issue, but I am curious about it.

3. Is it possible to have a text/attribute tag (containing a FIELD) within a BLOCK to display the path/file name of the hyperlink of the BLOCK. ie. the BLOCK will have the hyperlink, rather than the text within the block being linked. I hope that is clear.

I will probably have a few more questions as I progress with this project.

I look forward to hearing back.

Thanks a lot for any help.

1) How are you creating the hyperlinks. I don't get the warning message.

2) I don't think it is possible to select the hyperlink without using the Ctrl+click combination

3) I manually copy and paste the location text directly from explorers address bar so it isn't really linked. Put the text into a block and then use the Hyperlink command, selecting the block as the object and using the 'find file' option from within the hyperlink dialogue to link to the required file.

Hi Steven-g,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

I have been creating the hyperlinks through the PROPERTIES dialogue box (clicking the '...' button next to the "Hyperlink" field). I will try your method and see if I still get the same warning.

Thanks again.

----EDIT----

I have only just noticed that the warning message appears to be from Microsoft Office... so perhaps it is an Office setting?

Hi Steven-g,

I have only just noticed that the warning message appears to be from Microsoft Office... so perhaps it is an Office setting?

I spotted that and thought you were trying to open an office document, I didn't take a close look at the full path that shows a DWG, so yes it could be an office problem, but I don't see how!!!

PS I tried your method it opens the same dialogue and works just fine here.

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for the further advice.

So just to confirm... You created a hyperlink using the method I have been using and you did get the dialogue warning? But hyperlinking with the HYPERLINK command you get no such warning?

Thanks again for the help.

No I did not get the warning, no when I mentioned dialogue I was refering to the dialogue that Autocad opens so you can choose which file you want to use to create the hyperlink. Once the hyperlink is created I get no further warnings. It looks strange that it is a DWG but you are getting a microsoft warning

Understood.

I'll poke around some of the settings (in Word or Excel or something) and see if I can find anything.

Thanks again.