Virtual Reality Modeling - The very basics

gixxer

Hi Guys,

I'm after some help understanding the basic processes of Virtual Realty and Clash Detection modelling for Highway design. I've been asked by my employer to start developing skills in this area but I'm currently at a loss as to where to start with it all.

I'm a very competent Technician with AutoCAD 2D and have some experience with 3D modelling in AutoCAD, but the three software packages that I have been asked to 'learn' are Civil 3D, which I have attended an introductory course on but still only really understand the very basics of, 3DS MAX Design and NavisWorks Simulate, neither of which I have any experience with.

Basically, what I'm asking for now is, what practice role does each product play and in what order should I try and get experience with them? The AutoDesk website is full of jargon, sales language and amazing high resolution images of scheme concepts but nothing that says in plain English what it all does and how it all works together.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or recommend any websites/literature to look over to avoid any early confusion?

Of the three programs which will you be using the most often? I would recommend learning as much about that program first. Learning one program is difficult enough but to try and learn three at one time doesn't make much sense.

Civil 3D is where you'll construct your highway, do the model, the plans, the nuts and bolts if you like.

Navisworks Simulate is the clash detection, where you can input your models along with other models and see how it all fits togheter.

3DS Max (that I know the least about so feel free to correct me) is for modelling, design, animation, more the concepts and presentation I would say.

So which one to work with depends on, like ReMarks says, what will you be doing mostly?