touchscreen input geometries in AutoCAD

dezignlab

Dear AutoCAD users:

We would like to develop a plugin for AutoCAD to create geometries (line/arc/circle/ellipse/polyline etc.) through touchscreen. So instead of using commands, it will be just like freehand drawing, the program will automatically generate shapes to match your touchscreen input.

We want to do a little survey here to see if it makes sense to you? Will you buy it?:unsure:

One concern is, because touchscreen input is not as precise as through keyboard & mouse, the dimensions might be a little off (e.g. you want to draw a line with a length of 10.5, the program thinks it is a 10), and you will need to make some adjustments afterwards to get the exact size you really want. Would this be problem for you?

Thanks!:)

Disclaimer: We are a startup working on our own project and have no relations to Autodesk.

Edited by dezignlab

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikekmx

• dezignlab

• Dana W

• steven-g

To be honest I find a large screen the best option, It may be suitable for those doing site work or sketching, and I suppose if you could make it parametric driven, then it may not even be noticeable. If it's smart enough to know that a rectangle is a rectangle and you can punch in numbers for the sides, then I could see it working. Would I buy it, probably not. Would the company I work for buy it, I'd have to say yes.

Dear AutoCAD users:

We would like to develop a plugin for AutoCAD to create geometries (line/arc/circle/ellipse/polyline etc.) through touchscreen. So instead of using commands, it will be just like freehand drawing, the program will automatically generate shapes to match your touchscreen input.

We want to do a little survey here to see if it makes sense to you? Will you buy it?:unsure:

One concern is, because touchscreen input is not as precise as through keyboard & mouse, the dimensions might be a little off (e.g. you want to draw a line with a length of 10.5, the program thinks it is a 10), and you will need to make some adjustments afterwards to get the exact size you really want. Would this be problem for you?

Thanks!:)

is this a joke?

actually....a plug-in that doubles your work-load?

....i'll get my boss one :beer:

why a joke? how would it double your workload? We are working on a project to recognize freehand input as geometries, thought it might be useful to have it in AutoCAD...

why a joke? how would it double your workload? We are working on a project to recognize freehand input as geometries, thought it might be useful to have it in AutoCAD...
For what I do, it has to be precise the FIRST time, within 1/16" max. How could adjusting every point for accuracy not double the workload? Give this gizmo to the designers, and don't bother the technical people with it. In my book even the touchscreen is a disaster in AutoCAD, even without questionably useful plug-ins.

To be honest I find a large screen the best option, It may be suitable for those doing site work or sketching, and I suppose if you could make it parametric driven, then it may not even be noticeable. If it's smart enough to know that a rectangle is a rectangle and you can punch in numbers for the sides, then I could see it working. Would I buy it, probably not. Would the company I work for buy it, I'd have to say yes.

thanks Steven, this is exactly what we want to do - it would recognize if what you draw is a rectangle or any shapes made of line/arc/ellipse.

For what I do, it has to be precise the FIRST time, within 1/16" max. How could adjusting every point for accuracy not double the workload? Give this gizmo to the designers, and don't bother the technical people with it. In my book even the touchscreen is a disaster in AutoCAD, even without questionably useful plug-ins.

ok, I appreciate the opinion. the reason it is hard to be precise is because freehand input itself is quite ambiguous - it is relatively easy for the program to know the type of the shape, but hard to get what's the intended size. most of the time the size of a freehand drawn shape doesn't match what people have in mind. Of course we can probably add some functions to adjust the size during freehand drawing, through either manipulating some gizmos or directly punching in the number, but I don't know if that makes that much senses, maybe people will just stick with mouse and keyboard in this case

It seems to me that the greatest advantage to working with CAD is the combination of speed and uncanny accuracy inherent in the process.

I have never used touch screen, nor have I personally forseen any likely applications for it in CAD.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but when precision matters (and when does it not?),

users are going to opt for the most precise input system available. :|

Edited by Dadgad

It seems to me that the greatest advantage to working with CAD is the combination of speed and uncanny accuracy inherent in the process.

I have never used touch screen, nor have I seen any likely applications for it in CAD.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but when precision matters (and when does it not?),

Great post Dadgad i agree 100%

Doesn't anyone have any imagination here, vision of the future, I have to admit I read the post originally and read it to mean tablets and smart phones. But full size touch screen, that would be great, I'm a keyboard and mouse user. The only thing I can visualise to improve is the ability to do everything on the screen (well that or learn touch typing) imagine not having to look away from the screen. Draw a rough rectangle and adjust the size with a touch screen keypad, how about a double number keypad one starting in the lower left corner extending up for Y input and one along the bottom for X input, menus that change mode with just a touch.

steven-g? have you tried, or do you use Dynamic Input? Quick Properties?

I only ask, because they both enable one's focus to be more

cursor oriented, instead of commandline oriented.

As in Inventor, proximity of options to the cursor

greatly enhances productivity. Just curious. :)

Dadgad- I use Dynamic Input, not quick properties it gets in the way, I use keyboard shortcuts designed to cut down on hunt and peck (CC instead of CO for copy as an example). Macro's that offer multiple choice from the numerpad. To try and keep as much as possible with mouse and number pad entry. I don't use ribbons, menus,toolbars or command line. But I can't touch type so I look down at the keyboard a lot, and I find that distracting. :)

I have never used touch screen, nor have I personally forseen any likely applications for it in CAD.

+1

maybe handy 'on-site' for sketching over a drawing, but generally in that situation i would have a paper copy.

i haven't run AutoCad on a touchscreen, but are you not able to touch (EG) the line icon then start drawing a line....by touch, but as you would with a mouse? wouldn't that be pretty much the same as this plug-in?

ok, I appreciate the opinion. the reason it is hard to be precise is because freehand input itself is quite ambiguous - it is relatively easy for the program to know the type of the shape, but hard to get what's the intended size. most of the time the size of a freehand drawn shape doesn't match what people have in mind. Of course we can probably add some functions to adjust the size during freehand drawing, through either manipulating some gizmos or directly punching in the number, but I don't know if that makes that much senses, maybe people will just stick with mouse and keyboard in this case
You just re-explained my point. The vast majority of CAD users require nearly instant and extremely precise reactions from the software. AutoCAD for the most part is already capable of that. Your software design may be useful for something like sketching, or maybe flowcharting, or schematics, but I don't think it will ever make inroads into technical drawing.

Doesn't anyone have any imagination here, vision of the future, I have to admit I read the post originally and read it to mean tablets and smart phones. But full size touch screen, that would be great, I'm a keyboard and mouse user. The only thing I can visualise to improve is the ability to do everything on the screen (well that or learn touch typing) imagine not having to look away from the screen. Draw a rough rectangle and adjust the size with a touch screen keypad, how about a double number keypad one starting in the lower left corner extending up for Y input and one along the bottom for X input, menus that change mode with just a touch.
I'm sitting here looking at a 27" touch screen with an on screen touch keyboard. I find trying to use it in AutoCAD similar to pushing a wet rope up a wall.

What's more, the screen is so huge, my arm gets really tired playing solitaire. Maybe I should build it into a table top like they have on CSI Miami, so I don't have to hold my hand up so much.

You just re-explained my point. The vast majority of CAD users require nearly instant and extremely precise reactions from the software. AutoCAD for the most part is already capable of that. Your software design may be useful for something like sketching, or maybe flowcharting, or schematics, but I don't think it will ever make inroads into technical drawing.

i'm wondering if the OP has ever used AutoCAD

i'm wondering if the OP has ever used AutoCAD
Maybe, but obviously not for generating drawings of a nuclear submarine or stealth fighter, or even for a 2x4. I really don't think the OP grasps how utterly critical being precise and fast is. In a limited way, my touch screen already can do what the OP wants to do in AutoCAD, but it is like drawing in sand with a blunt stick.

What might be a better plug-in could be some sort of hands free software that actually works. Wait, scratch that. I already yell at my screen all day.

Maybe, but obviously not for generating drawings of a nuclear submarine or stealth fighter, or even for a 2x4. I really don't think the OP grasps how utterly critical being precise and fast is. In a limited way, my touch screen already can do what the OP wants to do in AutoCAD, but it is like drawing in sand with a blunt stick.

What might be a better plug-in could be some sort of hands free software that actually works. Wait, scratch that. I already yell at my screen all day.

I've used AutoCAD before, but not to the level you guys are using:)

We've developed a prototype of touchscreen input technology, a demo video is available at:

http://www.dezignlab.co

any comments about its possible applications, other than plugin in AutoCAD?

Edited by dezignlab

I don't think it can be applied to anything really. The only thing I could think of is what Mike said,

maybe handy 'on-site' for sketching over a drawing
but I can't see any practical use for it. I don't want to spend 5 minutes fixing an arc on an iPad when I can draw it in 10 seconds on my desktop. It's just not an efficient practice. AutoDesk is working towards making AutoCAD faster and more accurate, but drawing on a touch screen is taking a huge step away from that.