How to draw a straight line ??

provas_ce

Hi there,

i'm completely new in 3ds max and i need to draw a straight line for some practicing.. but when i draw a line it become curve slightly. Is there any way as like Autocad[orthogonal mode] ?

You can also enable 'Snaps' and set your Snap option to 'Grid Points'. Then set your 'Grid Dimensions' to whatever you need for your project. Make sure the Grid is displayed in your viewport and now you can draw straight lines which snap to the points on your grid.

Snap and Grid.jpg

i failed to do it with "shift key "...

I'm not sure why that would be? What version of Studio Max are you using?

Here's the procedure:

1. Click to place the starting point of the line

2. Hold down the shift key

3. Move your cursor in any direction, (up, down, left, right), and the line should now snap to orthogonal

4. Click to place a 2nd point and create a straight line

Does that not work for you?

Out of my league again but does 3ds max not have an ORTHO mode ?? Granted you can only make a straight horizontal or vertical line but it will be straight.

Holding down the 'Shift' key is the equivalent of Ortho in Autocad. But remember, Studio Max is NOT a CAD program, so drawing lines is not really something that is needed very often. 99.9% of the time you will be building 3D models, not creating 2D line drawings.

Holding down the 'Shift' key is the equivalent of Ortho in Autocad. But remember, Studio Max is NOT a CAD program, so drawing lines is not really something that is needed very often. 99.9% of the time you will be building 3D models, not creating 2D line drawings.

OK Need to stay out of thing i don't understand. Bad habit of putting my 2 cents in where it is not helpful. Thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...
Take a look at Slice Plane, next to QuickSlice (I hope). You can orient it the way you like before actually perform the slice or split.

He is drawing lines with the spline tool, not cutting edges into a mesh. Quickslice is not going to do anything for him.

Hmmmm, it seems that this is just another copy paste job from anthonyc12, this time from the Polycount forum. Post number 4: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66568

Edited by Cad64

• 8 years later...