Strange blue box symbol stretches my lines

revenant

Hello there,

First post :)

I have encountered a strange symbol that affects lines:

2 little blue boxes. What happens when i see these symbols, If I move a line and it's connected to other lines it will latch onto them and effectively drag them.

I don't want it to do this, I don't know what to search for, spent a few days trying to find what it is because it nearly ruined a whole development!

My boss is unsure what it is too.

Running autocad 2013.

Here's a picture:

print.jpg

many thanks for help!

print.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor and the wonderful world of PARAMETRIC drawing. :)

The symbols indicate that you have CONSTRAINTS active in the geometry upon which you are working.

You should be able to turn them off, at the left end of your drawing status bar menu, as shown in the image.

Pity you didn't ask us sooner, we could have saved you a couple of days of confusion.

Any way glad you found us. Welcome to the team.

turn off your infered constraints.JPG

Welcome to CADTutor and the wonderful world of PARAMETRIC drawing. :)

The symbols indicate that you have CONSTRAINTS active in the geometry upon which you are working.

oh yes I see now constraints are on!

Thanks: however I've turned them off and the blue boxes are still there, making my lines unmovable...

how do I 'cure' them?

Thanks again!

I have never taken the time to learn to use them properly.

Try right clicking on the icon where you turned them off,

select SETTINGS, and try to turn them off there.

Look at all 3 of the constraints tabs.

constraints from right click menu.jpg

oh yes I see now constraints are on!

Thanks: however I've turned them off and the blue boxes are still there, making my lines unmovable...

how do I 'cure' them?

Thanks again!

Is this your own drawing?

Meaning, that any constraints which have been applied were applied by accident?

You might want to make a backup copy of your drawing, lest you inadvertently

do some serious damage to it, while trying to trouble shoot this issue.

JD Mather is a prime proponent of parametric drawing, when he see this, he will know

how to deal with it. :beer:

oh yes i see now constraints are on!

Thanks: However i've turned them off and the blue boxes are still there, making my lines unmovable...

How do i 'cure' them?

Thanks again!

delconstraint > all

DELCONSTRAINT.jpg

delconstraint > all

[attach=config]43850[/attach]

Well done nestly, I should have thought to take a look at the ribbon, instead of just perusing my SYSVDLG. :beer:

Is this your own drawing?

Meaning, that any constraints which have been applied were applied by accident?

as you know I am an experienced user and when we updated to 2013 I found them all over the drawing I was working on from a former release. Yes, they do appear on their own without any apparent action on your part. They MAY be there through something I did but I have never determined what that might have been.

as you know I am an experienced user and when we updated to 2013 I found them all over the drawing I was working on from a former release. Yes, they do appear on their own without any apparent action on your part. They MAY be there through something I did but I have never determined what that might have been.

I have never had these come out of the virtual woodwork, but when installing 2013 Vanilla, before they fixed it I was

flipped out by all the nonassociative dimension flags ! popping up all over my main template.

The conspicuous lack of explanation was really annoying. :beer:

Glad nestly chimed in with the fix!

Apparently the good programmers at AutoDesk feel we all ought to be utilizing constraints. I wished they would show some restraint in their enthusiasm for this particular feature. If I want/need them I'll enable them myself otherwise get out of there now!

Constraints have their uses, but I doubt anyone would intentionally design with "infer" turned on. I think it only happened to me once before removing that toggle from the status bar became part of my installation procedure.

In my first drawing using 2014 dimensional constraints made their presence known without any deliberate attempt on my part to enable them. It took me a few moments to realize what was happening.

Apparently the good programmers at AutoDesk feel we all ought to be utilizing constraints. I wished they would show some restraint in their enthusiasm for this particular feature. If I want/need them I'll enable them myself otherwise get out of there now!
I firt realised I had them on when I moved a block and all the perpendicular lines touching the block inclined and didn't let go. Had a big warning box come up saying "look at our new feature" I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to find out what had happened. They really should not apply things without any warnings.

... I doubt anyone would intentionally design with "infer" turned on.....

Of course everyone would use geometry contraints if it worked right (like they do in Inventor, SolidWorks and Creo), but the implimentation in AutoCAD is sooooo clunky that I don't know anyone who uses constraints in AutoCAD unless there is a clear advantage for doing so.