Different models in 1 layout

aizzaac

Hi there!!:D

If i have two viewports in 1 layout: Is it possible to call different models (from different files) in it?

Lets say... ViewportA has model of drawing A. ViewportB has model of drawing B. But Both viewports are in the same layout.

I want to avoid using clipxref when inserting legends.

Hi there!!:D

If i have two viewports in 1 layout: Is it possible to call different models (from different files) in it?

Lets say... ViewportA has model of drawing A. ViewportB has model of drawing B. But Both viewports are in the same layout.

I want to avoid using clipxref when inserting legends.

I am not sure I completely understand what you are wanting. It sounds like you want to xref in two different files and show them in two viewports in one layout. You can do this with layers if you place the xrefs on top of one another or place the xrefs side by side.

I am not sure I completely understand what you are wanting. It sounds like you want to xref in two different files and show them in two viewports in one layout. You can do this with layers if you place the xrefs on top of one another or place the xrefs side by side.

+1

Easy, peasy.

Thank you.

How do I scale an xref? (without the command SCALE)

When using viewports I use Viewport Scale. But for Xrefs, is there a tool (like viewport scale) to scale them automatically?:)

Are you talking about annotative scaling? Sorry but that cannot be done for XREFs. On the other hand, I think objects within an XREF can be annotative. Can you describe in detail what you are doing?

Thank you.

How do I scale an xref? (without the command SCALE)

When using viewports I use Viewport Scale. But for Xrefs, is there a tool (like viewport scale) to scale them automatically?:)

I still am not clear on what you are doing, but you will bring the xrefs in to modelspace, then in a layout you create viewports and apply a scale to the viewport. I am not sure what you mean by automatically as it applies to xrefs and scales. Perhaps RobDraw has answered your question with the annotative scaling post.

Hi. This is how I work:

First: I create a viewport and accomodate in there my drawing to an appropiate scale.

Second: I bring in an xref (the legend); but in the Layout space. Then I use use Clip Xref to define the boundaries.

Third: I have to scale the xref to the size of the drawing in the viewport.

Is there a way in which the xref scaling can be done automatically? Like when using the Viewport scale button?

Because the text height of the legend (when I do xref) is not the same as the letters in the drawing (in the viewport).

When I insert a drawing in the viewport I have to scale it to 1:200 (for example) using the Viewport Scale button. Then I xref the legend but there is nothing like Viewport Scale to scale it.

Yes. For example these are some:

0.1 for 1:50

0.2 for 1:100

0.4 for 1:200

But when i do the xref of the legend (in the layout), I have to resize all of it until I get either 0.1, 0.2 or etc; because there is nothing like the Viewport Scale button where you just choose the scale that you need.

I hope you have understood me. :)

It sounds like you are putting the xref directly onto a paperspace layout, If that is correct you would be better off putting the xref in model space and using a paperspace viewport to look at it, that way the viewport would always be to the same scale no matter what your paper size is, and if you are doing it that way, it must also mean that you could be putting the same xref onto each layout ! when it only needs to be placed once into model space.

Yes. For example these are some:

0.1 for 1:50

0.2 for 1:100

0.4 for 1:200

But when i do the xref of the legend (in the layout), I have to resize all of it until I get either 0.1, 0.2 or etc; because there is nothing like the Viewport Scale button where you just choose the scale that you need.

I hope you have understood me. :)

Use properties. Select the xref, open properties, adjust the x and y scaling, done.

If the legend is the same for a number of drawings, why don't you ceate a block of it at the standard text height, and save it as part of a template file? Then just insert the block into paper space.

Well yes. I do the xref in the layout space.

Why? Because sometimes the client also asks for the dwg file. And if I xref in the model space, it doesn't look good. Also because it is a policy of the company.

I would be nice if the xref in the model space could be hidden.

It sounds like you are putting the xref directly onto a paperspace layout, If that is correct you would be better off putting the xref in model space and using a paperspace viewport to look at it, that way the viewport would always be to the same scale no matter what your paper size is, and if you are doing it that way, it must also mean that you could be putting the same xref onto each layout ! when it only needs to be placed once into model space.

I'm still having trouble getting my head around this. Paper space is usually set up to a scale of 1:1. Anything else doesn't make sense because you are working with a virtual piece of paper. If you are scaling the legend to get the text height correct then you must be using a scale other than 1:1. Can you explain in more detail how your paper space is set-up and maybe post a stripped down version of what you are doing or even a few screen shots?

I'm still having trouble getting my head around this. Paper space is usually set up to a scale of 1:1. Anything else doesn't make sense because you are working with a virtual piece of paper. If you are scaling the legend to get the text height correct then you must be using a scale other than 1:1. Can you explain in more detail how your paper space is set-up and maybe post a stripped down version of what you are doing or even a few screen shots?

Now that you mention it, if the original drawing with the legend has the text at the correct height it should xref into any layout at the correct height.

Well yes. I do the xref in the layout space.

Why? Because sometimes the client also asks for the dwg file. And if I xref in the model space, it doesn't look good.

how do you know what looks good to the client? A file that follows standard ald logical protocols "looks good" to me. a file with thisng in wierd places, does not.

Also because it is a policy of the company.

Who set the policy and why?

Is this an outdated policy dating back to beffore paperspace layouts?