AutoCad MEP 2013 - Setting Layers and Duct Configurations

Mech Designer

I have just found a couple of more problems I am having...

When I set up my viewports, I notice that all the text in that I see in model has shrunk to dots. What is happening here?

When I do a print preview, the 3D view looks rather blurry. I haven't tried printing it yet, but going by the preview, the 3D view would look awful.

Getting back to the whole blocks and MV parts thing... If I use a certain supplier for louvers, fire dampers etc, etc, etc and they have all these files available in 3D, can I just download these and use them on all future projects? Still trying to get my head around this, sorry. I watched a youtube clip with a guy creating a custom part, but he was creating it from scratch. These are already drawn up...

Flexible canvas connections being used on a HVAC system. Is there a way to draw these, or have them as a block?

Thanks,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech Designer

• tzframpton

• hertz hound

• DanEcad

When I set up my viewports, I notice that all the text in that I see in model has shrunk to dots. What is happening here?

Standard Acad annotative scaling is all I can think of.

When I do a print preview, the 3D view looks rather blurry. I haven't tried printing it yet, but going by the preview, the 3D view would look awful.

Standard Acad plot style table is all I can think of. Try unchecking the box "use objects line weights" in the print manager. Also check that you are using the correct drawing template for your needs. Either color or style based plot style.

Getting back to the whole blocks and MV parts thing... If I use a certain supplier for louvers, fire dampers etc, etc, etc and they have all these files available in 3D, can I just download these and use them on all future projects? Still trying to get my head around this, sorry. I watched a youtube clip with a guy creating a custom part, but he was creating it from scratch. These are already drawn up...

The MV parts that are installed during a drawing session are pulled from a catalog. you would have to get the objects you are downloading into a catalog. you can use the existing catalog to add to, or create your own. I would create your own. this way you can keep all your custom stuff separate and move the catalog to a newer version in the future. I store mine in a location that is synced to my cloud storage and then everything I make is accessible on the two computers that I use.

To see where this catalog is located go to options

If the parts you are downloading come with all the other files that you see associated with a part, you could probably just add them in the catalog. I never tried. Otherwise Follow the clip you saw on youtube for content builder and just substitute the parts (blocks) you downloaded. Be sure the parts you are using for the "model view" is a 3-D solid all other orthographic views are created from that (Flatshot) in content builder, or you can add your own "view blocks" based on 2-D line work that has been blocked.

It may be easier for now to edit what you already have in your stock catalog, you can block edit the out of the box content you already have, to suit your needs. Here is a youtube video of how to do it.

This video is an excerpt from a coarse. The coarse would be money well spent. I paid out of pocket and got reimbursed from my employer.

When you block edit a part that is installed in a drawing, It is only being changed in that drawing. If you install the same part again in the same drawing using the mvpartadd command, it will look the same as the block edited part, because you can only have one block definition with the same name in one drawing.

If you install the same part in a different drawing it would look like the original part. You would have to open up the content drawing (the catalog .dwg) and block edit it there if you want the changes to be used in all future drawings. It is always best to make a back up copy of the file first.

Flexible canvas connections being used on a HVAC system. Is there a way to draw these, or have them as a block?

Add on software probably has this already. I don't know if AMEP has it out of the box. You could make this yourself, but because of all the part sizes you need, you would want to build it with the parametric part builder. Best to figure out the block based part builder first. If you don't need that many sizes you could just stay with the block based part builder. Once you get used to it block based parts are a breeze.

Still chugging away on this whole MEP thing... :? I think I am getting there though.

The add-on software that I am looking at seems to have flexible connections, so that is a huge load off my mind.

With setting up a new catalog (which seems a bit overwhelming), I was going to use the instructions that Hertz Hound mentioned above as well as instructions in this post

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?79782-Advice-needed-setting-up-catalog%28s%29-and-routing-preference

Would I be on the right path here?

The blocks I have found are already drawn up in 3D to a very detailed standard. So from what I am reading on here is that I need to just create a catalog and download them and follow the instructions?

I have some brand specific fire dampers and volume dampers and flex duct take offs that I would like to use, but for them to be more of an MV part that will change in relation to the duct?

With these initial struggles, I was starting to wonder if I should have gone with Fabrication Cad MEP. Someone advised me against this due to complex set up etc, so I went with MEP. I never use Cad / Cam so that is the other thing I guess, but from what people are saying in my neck of the woods this has a pretty good catalog with real world parts. However, if it is a drama to set up, I would not want to go with it.

Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated.

The thing you must remember is that you are using a new program with an entirely new way of assembling "drawings" and you're wanting it to conform to your very specific standards right away. That's just not going to happen. Think of all the labor hours that already has went into the way you do things now. This may have been in place before you were employed where you are now. It already has been a huge investment, and you're about to do it all over again.

You will need a gameplan. Fabrication MEP or not, it doesn't matter - you are going to have to give up some things you are used to, and you are going to have to simply roll up your sleeves and grind away if you "need" specific content. 2-3 years is what you're looking at if you keep at it. I've done this same effort twice with two different companies and already know what this entails.

Just being honest with you is all. Hope you don't take it the wrong way. 8)

Would I be on the right path here?

Yes

The blocks I have found are already drawn up in 3D to a very detailed standard. So from what I am reading on here is that I need to just create a catalog and download them and follow the instructions?

It would be real nice if they had a .APC file. then you could open up two catalogs with the catalog editor (there's and your custom one). Then you could copy the parts between catalogs.

I have seen the hvac contractors with some real detailed airhandlers from the manufacture. they even had the electrical disconnects with them. Unfortunatly they did not have the electrical conduit connectors on them. They told me they demand these parts from their manufacture. I don't know how true that is. I certainly can't get MV parts, panels or devices from Square D or Eaton. I don't know if they got them as MV-parts or just 3-D .dwg's and they had to do the rest.

I have some brand specific fire dampers and volume dampers and flex duct take offs that I would like to use, but for them to be more of an MV part that will change in relation to the duct?

When you are installing the part you see you have part sizes available on most parts. If these are block based parts then there are different blocks for each part size and each size could have something like 16 view blocks. If they are parametric parts, then there is only one part for different sizes. all the part sizes are created from a table. The table (parameters) controls the part sizes. If a part is not in the table you can usualy add a part size while/after the part is installed. This can be done on the properties pallet. You could change a 8X10 parametric VAV to 8-1/4 X 10-1/2 on the properties pallet. You would not be able to do that with a block based part, unless of coarse there was already a block for that odd size.

• 6 months later...

QUOTE=tzframpton;555364]Welcome to AutoCAD MEP. You are getting into the hardest part of understanding AutoCAD MEP, so do not feel discouraged -- most of us who initially dove into MEP didn't understand this either. Being introduced to the world of AEC Objects, it's all about the Style Manager, and Display Manager to control the visibility of these objects. Simply editing the Layer doesn't cut it anymore. The link below is a quick run-through of on how to access the Style Manager for duct objects. My suggestion would be to edit your Template file, so that you don't find yourself constantly making these changes all the time. Anyways, click the link below to see how to easily access the Style Manager to take control of object visibility:

http://screencast.com/t/2wFc91SO

Furthermore, there's a new file that acts as a source for your Layers. It's called Layer Key Styles. You can access this by going to the Application button > Drawing Utilities > Drawing Setup > Layering tab. Or type DS at the command line. This is the source file that your template is pulling from to control your Layers and Properties. If you want to see the Layer Styles in the drawing, go to Manage > Style Manager > Multi-Purpose Objects > Layer Key Styles. Click the Layer Key file, then go to the Keys tab.

It can seem very robust so don't think you have to take it all in at once. As you get familiar with this you can gradually make your edits as necessary and update your Template file. I always spent time updating and managing my Template file - it's very necessary to become proficient.

Hope this helps. 8)

That was great I will try to adapt it to Plumbing/pipe, I'm trying to learn Bell n Spigot- domestic wtr gas ect... is dam hard do you have any more of these amazing vids for Plumbing and pipe???

That was great I will try to adapt it to Plumbing/pipe, I'm trying to learn Bell n Spigot- domestic wtr gas ect... is dam hard do you have any more of these amazing vids for Plumbing and pipe???
No, I've moved on to Revit MEP completely.

Ya bummer!! The only thing MEP is good for (i guess).

I have to pull drawings from Revit to transfer to MEP in order to detail with a 3rd party software (Benchmark) that will download parts to a cybermation ductwork burning machine. I have been using AC 2014 but now need to learn pipe with MEP, to keep working.

Right now I'm learning more than working :ouch: I have to get some thing on paper by Monday.

My most current issue is annotative text, never used it. i can't get it to show elevations or pipe sizes- was a mess:? Do you have any suggestions?