AutoCad MEP 2013 - Setting Layers and Duct Configurations

Mech Designer

Thanks...

If I don't have the flex duct on it's own layer, how do I then set it to be drawn at a different color? Aren't the flex duct lines using the contour lines of metal duct?

Also, I don't want to have all these separate systems. Can I delete toilet exhaust, outside air, return air etc and just have one system as "Duct"?

Thanks again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech Designer

• tzframpton

• hertz hound

• DanEcad

If I don't have the flex duct on it's own layer, how do I then set it to be drawn at a different color? Aren't the flex duct lines using the contour lines of metal duct?
The reason I discourage it is because you're trying to circumvent the correct way in using AutoCAD MEP. You're trying to make an updated program adopt to 15 year old 2D plain jane AutoCAD techniques. I believe you will have to create an entire system to get your results. I thought there used to be a way to have flex duct be another color but it's been too many years now.

Also, I don't want to have all these separate systems. Can I delete toilet exhaust, outside air, return air etc and just have one system as "Duct"?
You can delete/add/modify as you wish. However, again, I highly discourage this. "Duct" is not a system, and you're better off leaving at least the three basic HVAC systems: Supply, Return and Exhaust. It will help you organize the drawing better, and better distinguish your design.

I hate to sound arrogant and blunt, but you really need to spend some time thinking about the road you're trying to travel down. "Dumbing down" AutoCAD MEP is not a wise choice, believe me. I understand we all have our things we're used to and change can be tough to accept, but the things you're trying to do is only going to make life much harder on you in the long run and you are confusing things and making things unnecessarily more complicated.

I encourage you to use the program as it was intended as you will benefit greatly from it. You also will freshen up your detailer skills and slide into the 21st century, putting you in a more valuable asset to your company and any future company (if your current employment situation were to ever change for whatever reason).

Please take these words as encouragement from an experienced ex-AutoCAD MEP user and not in a negative tone. The choice is yours and you most certainly can do things the way you want.

- Tannar :)

tzframpton

Hertz.... great description mi amigo. Didn't have time to write it all up yet so glad you jumped in.

I am glad to finally give back to a site that I have taken so much from.

There was actualy another paragraph on how to do a style override to change the color of the flex duct and keep the same layer. I was running late for work and when I looked back at what I typed I could not understand what i wrote so I deleted it.

Mech Designer

If I don't have the flex duct on it's own layer, how do I then set it to be drawn at a different color? Aren't the flex duct lines using the contour lines of metal duct

It may be a little different depending on the version. It is called a style override. After you have some duct and flex duct in your drawing, select a piece of flex duct. Go to the properties dialog box and select the display tab. you will see a drop down saying display controlled by..select duct flex style (whatever the size is). Then go to the display component drop down and chose contour. From there change the color. leave the properties box and hit escape to un-select the flex duct.

Now all the flex duct that shares the same style, on that system will now have the new color with the same layer name. You will have to do that for the plan view and model view display configuration. You will probably have to do that with different sizes of flex duct also.

I Don't have a need to use overrides and leave everything as-is. I have customized my layer key styles though. I like it when the company's three letter acronym prefixes the layer name just after the domain letter. I think it makes filtering things easier.

Once all this is set up you can erase all the objects and save it as a template file. You can purge all the layers and they will come back automatic the next time you run duct on that system.

My AMEP 20014 version only has one system (Standard) by default. Maybe if I change the default template file to a different one there would be more? I checked 2012 and it had all the systems you are talking about. I guess there is no harm in going into the style manager an deleting the systems you think you will never use.

There is Another way to keep your template file up to date with your current drawing, as you make changes as you go along. in your current drawing, go to the style manager. Use the file open icon at the top, and browse to your template drawing. It will open in the style manager but not the drawing editor. From there you can copy and paste back and forth between drawings to your hearts content.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

HELP!!

I got busy with some work (which I did in 2D) and now have a bit of time again to get back looking at MEP.

I am still fiddling with the template I worked on a few weeks back with a friend's help. Still getting used to it and making changes etc.

Here is the problem...

When I have the template open and draw ductwork in the template, it seems to be going great.

When I open up an old 2D AutoCad drawing (save as a file so I can mess with a drawing already set up with my layers), the ductwork will not show up like I want it to or as it would in the template file...

It looks like when I open a brand new drawing, the same issue as above occurs with ductwork not showing up correctly. I looked in the systems drop down box and saw that my flex duct system and my supply duct system are not showing up like it does in the template drawing.

I am truly beat on this one... Tried looking up YouTube videos and everything... I saved a copy of the template file into another folder like you suggested and I have set the preferences to look into that folder. One thing to note is that when I set the preferences to look for the template in the new location, it stopped looking in the default AutoCad template location. Is this ok?

Sorry, but I need some help again... I think if I can get this layer / template thing worked out, I could start drafting in the 3D.

Thanks,

When I open up an old 2D AutoCad drawing (save as a file so I can mess with

a drawing already set up with my layers), the ductwork will not show up like I

want it to or as it would in the template file...

The display manager only works with AEC objects and will have no effect on 2-d line work (I will look into my response better on that one)

I saved a copy of the template file into another folder like you suggested and

I have set the preferences to look into that folder. One thing to note is that

when I set the preferences to look for the template in the new location, it

stopped looking in the default AutoCad template location. Is this ok?

Are you talking about your drawing template file or your layer key drawing template file?

You can save your drawing template file in the default drawing folder listed under options

When that drawing opens it will look to load the layer key from drawing template file listed under Drawing utilitys

Here are some good videos

All of his videos are excellent

hertz hound -

Thanks for the reply.

With opening the 2D drawing, I understood that MEP would not effect the already drafted 2D ductwork etc. I just attempted to play around and start drawing some new ductwork in a drawing where I had all my plot styles set, layers all set up etc.

With your second question, I was referring to the drawing template (.dwt) file. The one where you open, set configurations, set layers etc and then save as your own template. I have a copy of the drawing template in the standard AutoCad default location and the other copy in a folder I created. Under options, I have told MEP to look in the folder I created for the drawing template.

I thought I did everything right, but it is not working with new drawings or if I open an existing drawing. However, if I open the template (.dwt file), I can draw duct etc and it draws as I want it to.

Thanks.

Backup the existing drawing and Copy/Paste all your 2D stuff into a fresh AMEP Template, then Save As, overwriting the existing DWG file. Then you're ready to roll, unless I missed the nature of the issue.

It's harder to insert all the AEC Template Settings and Content into an existing drawing. So, Copy/Paste Basepoint @0,0 is always the easiest way I've handled that situation.

tzframpton -

Thanks for your reply, but I think you have really confused me now...

I have set up a template (a .dwt file), saved as my own template so it will be referenced in on all drawings.

What I am finding is that if I open the .dwt file (my template) and draw ductwork, it is being drawn like I want it to be.

I have gone into options and preferences and set MEP to look in the folder where my template is located.

Now, if I open an existing AutoCad drawing and start drawing duct, it will not draw like it should.

Also, if I open a brand new MEP drawing and start drawing duct, it will not draw like it should.

On a side tangent (with your last post), are you saying that I can copy and paste some objects and blocks into my MEP template file and that will help set up my layers?

I have been using AutoCad for about 15 years I worked out just earlier, but this shift to MEP is a little tricky. I look forward to it finally clicking, so I can start using it on jobs.

Thanks again,

I need some answers from you first.... my apologies for confusing you, that was not my intention.

I have set up a template (a .dwt file), saved as my own template so it will be referenced in on all drawings.
Where did this source DWG come from? One of the standard out-of-the-box AEC DWT files, or are you referring to the Layer Key Styles DWG file?

Now, if I open an existing AutoCad drawing and start drawing duct, it will not draw like it should.
Correct. Layer Key Styles are the source for your Layer Control only, not the setup of your AEC Object Setups and Styles and Display Representations. All of these items, are set up in your main Template. It's the Styles that connects the Object (eg: Ductwork, Piping, Mechanical Equipment, etc) to the proper Layer Properties by connecting setting the Layer Key Style in the Object Style Properties. Clear as mud? Lol!

Also, if I open a brand new MEP drawing and start drawing duct, it will not draw like it should.
Set your QNEW properly and this should be set and done for the next project.

On a side tangent (with your last post), are you saying that I can copy and paste some objects and blocks into my MEP template file and that will help set up my layers?
Make one thing clear... opening existing AutoCAD files are a no-no if you're going to use AutoCAD MEP properly. You need to always start with a fresh AutoCAD MEP template, then save it and Copy/Paste any objects or entities into this new drawing if you want all your MEP stuff available to you. It doesn't go in reverse. The settings you're wanting are all contained in a Drawing Template, and they will not be available to you properly if you do not originate your drawing from that master Drawing Template with all your settings in place.

Think of it this way, on a standard AutoCAD situation. Lets say you have a template with 50 layers. Well, a drawing comes in from an outside client and you open it and you say "Hey, where's all 50 of my layers?" Well, that file didn't originate from your master template. Layers that you've set up won't magically appear every time you open a drawing. Same goes for the MEP stuff... the thing that confuses most people is that Autodesk has set up a template for you, which makes people think that all these objects and styles and display representations are always there when you click the Duct icon. Well that's not the case, you have to start from a template, just the same as any other AutoCAD situation. Hope this clears it up some. :)

I have been using AutoCad for about 15 years I worked out just earlier, but this shift to MEP is a little tricky. I look forward to it finally clicking, so I can start using it on jobs.
Keep at it, it'll click. Once it does you'll wonder how you ever went without it. :)

tzframpton -

Thanks for taking the time again to help me...

Maybe I am still using some old school logic here. In AutoCad 2D, I would never start a project from new... I was always opening up a completed project, saving as new and then deleting what I didn't want and then starting the new project. Done it that way for years and never gave me any issues in 2D.

The template I am referring to isn't the layer keys. It is a template I created (.dwt file) from the default list AutoDesk has. I just saved one of the .dwt files and named it my own. After that, I have been in there setting up the layers, how I want duct to show etc, etc, etc...

Now I am in MEP, I am understanding I should be opening the .dwt template for each new project and saving that as a .dwg file and then making that the new drawing? Did I understand that correctly?

What happens if someone sends me an existing MEP file and I need to work in that? At the moment, I am guessing I would open that file and my ductwork would not draw like I want it to.

Thanks,

Maybe I am still using some old school logic here. In AutoCad 2D, I would never start a project from new... I was always opening up a completed project, saving as new and then deleting what I didn't want and then starting the new project. Done it that way for years and never gave me any issues in 2D.
Gotta give this workflow up if you're going to adopt AMEP. It's a different ballgame altogether.

The template I am referring to isn't the layer keys. It is a template I created (.dwt file) from the default list AutoDesk has. I just saved one of the .dwt files and named it my own. After that, I have been in there setting up the layers, how I want duct to show etc, etc, etc...
Good, just always use this as your starting point.

Now I am in MEP, I am understanding I should be opening the .dwt template for each new project and saving that as a .dwg file and then making that the new drawing? Did I understand that correctly?
100% Yes. You "can" take all the items in your template and transfer them into an existing drawing, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just always abide by this rule: Start your MEP Template and save it. Import anything from any existing drawing into the newly created MEP drawing, and then you're all set.

The reason behind this approach: it's cleaner and easier. The way you transfer all your styles and objects, etc from one drawing to the next is by opening up a new drawing based off your template, then open the existing drawing. Open your Style Manager, right-click your file and click 'Copy' then right-click the existing drawing and click 'Paste' and it will transfer everything over. But it takes a lot of time to do that, and usually locks up or errors in some way. So that's why I strongly suggest just to copy/paste into a template. Done and done. :)

What happens if someone sends me an existing MEP file and I need to work in that? At the moment, I am guessing I would open that file and my ductwork would not draw like I want it to.
This is where it will get complicated. This should rarely happen, anyways. But in any event it does, using the Style Manager and Display Manager, you can transfer all items to or from either drawing to the other (Your template to the existing drawing, or the existing drawing to your drawing) as mentioned above.

tzframpton -

Thanks again... You have given me some good home work to experiment with for a few days I think. Thanks...

Just a couple of other of questions for now...

So are you saying that regular 2D AutoCad is not really compatible with MEP?

A lot of projects I work on, the Architect still issues their cad files as 2D. Now the steel roof structure or truss roof structure drawings are usually in a 3D model. Will there be any issues saving the Architect's floor plan, ceiling plans, sections etc into MEP?

Thanks.

A lot of projects I work on, the Architect still issues their cad files as

2D. Now the steel roof structure or truss roof structure drawings are usually in

a 3D model. Will there be any issues saving the Architect's floor plan, ceiling

plans, sections etc into MEP?

There won't be any problem at all. For the most part they will be used as x-refs and won't be part of your drawing. The main difference is that they will be just 2-d line work. There will be no styles and the only display configuration will be standard.

If you have a drawing open like this, go to the style manager. You will see the usual folders, and categories in the folders. If you click on a category you will see there is no style not even standard. Usually you have standard and you would copy and paste that style and then make changes to it to create a new style. when you chose "new style" that is what is happening to the standard style.

In a non aec drawing you could create new styles (even though standard is not there) it would be completely from scratch you would not want the extra work.

You could use the duct tool. The duct tool would pull the content from the catalog and in doing so some things would come with it. That would be similar to copy with base point. you would get a duct with the standard style on m-duct layer. There would be no routing preference, no layer key style set up, no system, no display representation. no nothing! You would not want to work this way.

Because this drawing has no display configurations you would be limited in how you would view your duct. You would only have standard, which would be whatever that is set up to be. Maybe two line with the center line on.

Another difference in a non AEC drawing is that the objects don't respect the cut plane. So displaying by elevation is useless. Also objects cannot be sectioned using the EDITINSECTION command. So if your 3D steel drawing has been converted to .DWG from some other software EDITINSECTION will have no effect. XCLIP will still work.

With your second question, I was referring to the drawing template (.dwt) file.

The one where you open, set configurations, set layers etc and then save as your

own template. I have a copy of the drawing template in the standard AutoCad

default location and the other copy in a folder I created. Under options, I have

told MEP to look in the folder I created for the drawing template.

That is fine. It does not matter where you put it as long as AMEP knows where to look for it. You could put it in a folder that is synced to the cloud. Then you could have it anywhere. I do that with my custom content, but that is a whole different

topic.

What I am finding is that if I open the .dwt file (my template) and draw

ductwork, it is being drawn like I want it to be.

I have gone into

options and preferences and set MEP to look in the folder where my template is

located.

Now, if I open an existing AutoCad drawing and start drawing

duct, it will not draw like it should.

Also, if I open a brand new MEP

drawing and start drawing duct, it will not draw like it should.

What is happening is that all your styles, routing preferences and display set-ups are set in one template drawing.(options

When that drawing opens it loads the layer key settings from the layer key template drawing. (Drawing utilitys

So even though you set up your layer keys in the first template it is being changed by the second template when it loads.

I have been using AutoCad for about 15 years I worked out just earlier, but this

shift to MEP is a little tricky. I look forward to it finally clicking, so I can

start using it on jobs.

You probably have way more hours in this than me. I cant remember if it was R11,12 or 13 that I started with (actually CadKey7). And there were years I did not use it at all. But looking at where the market is going I got heavy into it again. You are going to do great. And like tzframpton said you will wonder how you did without it before.

A month ago I did a site as-built for a job we did. It was required by the county. They wanted it in 2D. I already had all the Manholes, Quazite boxes and light pole bases from a previous job. So I did it in 3-D and then used the export to autocad command while in plan view. It looks so much better with all the labels on the conduit the rise and drop styles and fittings on the conduit. The way the display manager takes care of all the "rules of drafting" makes it easier.

Have a nice weekend

So are you saying that regular 2D AutoCad is not really compatible with MEP?
2D AutoCAD is definitely compatible with the AutoCAD MEP product. It's the traditional vanilla AutoCAD workflow that's not compatible.

A lot of projects I work on, the Architect still issues their cad files as 2D. Now the steel roof structure or truss roof structure drawings are usually in a 3D model. Will there be any issues saving the Architect's floor plan, ceiling plans, sections etc into MEP?
Hertz hit it spot on. Anything 2D that comes in your way, you most certainly can use but it's more reference only because (obviously) there's no 3D objects to help in generating additional sections/views or coordination.

OK, I think I have sorted out the template issue (I think...). Thanks to each of you for your help.

I had a few more questions (sorry about that);

1. When I am using duct add and drawing the duct, the duct text is rotated the wrong way (as in being viewed from left). How can I specify that we view the text from the right? For example, in plan view if the ductwork is rising up the page, the bottom of the text should be facing to the right and the top of the text facing to the left. I hope I explained this ok.

2. Is there a way to turn off the pattern on the flex duct and just show the center line and two outside lines?

3. On ductwork this is turning up to say a roof mounted fan, is there a way to show a cross in the duct for positive pressure and a single diagonal line for negative?

4. A lot of duct I work with has duct liner. I was wondering if there is a way to show a step on the end of the duct where the liner ends and the duct flange joint starts?

5. From what I am seeing, quite a lot of diffuser types and duct fittings are not actually real world for what we do anyway. I am finding that a lot of suppliers have (for example) their diffusers in 3D cad format available for download. I tried this today with a diffuser. I inserted the diffuser as a block. When I attempted to run a flex duct to the diffuser, it just would not connect to the diffuser. The flex duct would just go rogue on me and go to another point somewhere on the drawing.

6. Does MEP handle inserting blocks like it's predecessor did? MEP seems to have a dynamic library and I am not sure if you can go in a modify these pieces?

Thanks,

Also, with a square to round transition duct, how do I make the lines inside the duct another color to the actual duct? The lines inside the duct just represent the sheet metal folding to a round shape. I like these to be a lighter color. I have tried changing the color, but cannot find what layer this is on...

Thanks.

1. When I am using duct add and drawing the duct, the duct text is rotated the wrong way (as in being viewed from left). How can I specify that we view the text from the right? For example, in plan view if the ductwork is rising up the page, the bottom of the text should be facing to the right and the top of the text facing to the left. I hope I explained this ok.
Can you post a screenshot? I'm not following exactly.

2. Is there a way to turn off the pattern on the flex duct and just show the center line and two outside lines?
Yes. On the Ribbon go to Manage Tab > Style Manager. Now go to HVAC Objects > Duct System Definitions and expand the category. Double click the System you need to edit. From the Tabs at the top, now go to Display Properties, make sure Plan is Bold, select it and to the right you'll see a button which edits the display properties. From the dialog that opens, you can turn things on/off via the Lightbulb icon under the Visible column. You can also edit other items as well. This is an area you need to become very familiar with so have fun with this. :)

3. On ductwork this is turning up to say a roof mounted fan, is there a way to show a cross in the duct for positive pressure and a single diagonal line for negative?
Make sure you're using the proper Duct System Definitions. In the Style Manager, the same place I noted above, you'll see a tab called "Rise and Drop". This is where you set your rise/drop symbols for the type of duct. You need to get into the habit of use Return, Supply and Exhaust duct systems respectively. The information associated with these different system types is what drives the symbols, layer control, visibility, etc. No more "M-DUCT" layer only.

4. A lot of duct I work with has duct liner. I was wondering if there is a way to show a step on the end of the duct where the liner ends and the duct flange joint starts?
Not sure I follow? Can you provide a screenshot of how you normally represent this?

5. From what I am seeing, quite a lot of diffuser types and duct fittings are not actually real world for what we do anyway. I am finding that a lot of suppliers have (for example) their diffusers in 3D cad format available for download. I tried this today with a diffuser. I inserted the diffuser as a block. When I attempted to run a flex duct to the diffuser, it just would not connect to the diffuser. The flex duct would just go rogue on me and go to another point somewhere on the drawing.
The content that is intelligent are not Blocks, they are called MvParts. You can certainly start venturing off into building your own content by going to the Manage Tab > Content Builder. Look in the Help file to follow the steps needed.

Which diffusers are you having troubles with? I haven't found a diffuser that I couldn't use or that wasn't "real world".

6. Does MEP handle inserting blocks like it's predecessor did? MEP seems to have a dynamic library and I am not sure if you can go in a modify these pieces?
Kind of. Because now you're dealing with intelligent AEC Objects, you're inserting MvParts from a catalog selector. For instance, under the Home Tab click Equipment. Notice the Add MvPart catalog selector opens. This is an organized library of content that Autodesk has prepared for you right out of the box. Using the Content Builder tool, you can edit or add anything in this library, or you can actually create your own catalog and build all your content directly from scratch. So in a sense it works the same in principle, but much more steps are required to get this library built to suit your needs.

Also, with a square to round transition duct, how do I make the lines inside the duct another color to the actual duct? The lines inside the duct just represent the sheet metal folding to a round shape. I like these to be a lighter color. I have tried changing the color, but cannot find what layer this is on...
Like mentioned above, go to the Style Manager and to the Display Properties. The display component that controls the square to round linework is the "Contour - Details" option. Change the color to whatever your hearts desire and it will adjust all of them in the project.

Hope this all helps. Whew!! Lots to answer lol. 8)

There were a couple of things I wanted to try before replying. Ok here we go.

1. When I am using duct add and drawing the duct, the duct text is rotated the

wrong way (as in being viewed from left). How can I specify that we view the

text from the right? For example, in plan view if the ductwork is rising up the

page, the bottom of the text should be facing to the right and the top of the

text facing to the left. I hope I explained this ok.

I had this problem before But for some reason can't re-create it. No matter what I do the text always reads right when running vertical. Other than using the rotate button on the contextual ribbon after selecting the label I don't know how to fix it. I can remember that the direction that the conduit was drawn in seemed to decide which way the label was rotated. So bottom to top reads left, top to bottom reads right, but for some reason that is not the case for me now.

2. Is there a way to turn off the pattern on the flex duct and just show the

center line and two outside lines?

There are several ways (levels) that you can do this. understanding at what level you want the override will dictate how you will accomplish this. I never really go into the display manager But if you want to change flex duct globally across systems this would be one place you could do it. Go to representations by object chose flex duct and turn off annotation and annotation-hidden (where ducts cross). Most of the time you will make these changes in "properties" under the display tab, or under "edit system style" on the ribbon. it all depends on the level at which you want to make the change.

TZ says it right "it is an area you will want to get familiar with."

3. On ductwork this is turning up to say a roof mounted fan, is there a way to

show a cross in the duct for positive pressure and a single diagonal line for

negative?

I am not a mechanical guy but if positive pressure is one "system" and negative pressure is another "system" then yes. If you want a different rise and drop style based on flow direction then no.

Edit the rise and drop style for the system like Tanner mentioned. You can also make custom view blocks if you don't find the style you like. View blocks are something you will also need to get familiar with.

Where there is a will there is a way. :shock: Sorry, can't be much more help than that.

5. From what I am seeing, quite a lot of diffuser types and duct fittings are

not actually real world for what we do anyway. I am finding that a lot of

suppliers have (for example) their diffusers in 3D cad format available for

download. I tried this today with a diffuser. I inserted the diffuser as a

block. When I attempted to run a flex duct to the diffuser, it just would not

connect to the diffuser. The flex duct would just go rogue on me and go to

another point somewhere on the drawing.

TZ already answered. You have to make the 3-D diffuser a multi view part with a connector. It goes back to getting familiar with view blocks. It will become second nature with time. search U-tube for content builder and block based parts.

One thing is, when you build your diffuser with block based view blocks. the 3-D block will have to contain solids (maybe surfaces also instead) or it will not work.

3-D line work can be added on top of the solid. when it gets exported to Navis or a 3-D DWF all solid work looks better. the 3-D line work and any text seems to be lost. You can add thickness to text though.

Hopefully that is enough to answer. You should be busy for a while.

Thank you for both your replies.

I will need to take an in depth look at this over the next few days (provided work is not too busy).

Thanks again...

The content that is intelligent are not Blocks, they are called MvParts. You can certainly start venturing off into building your own content by going to the Manage Tab > Content Builder. Look in the Help file to follow the steps needed.

Which diffusers are you having troubles with? I haven't found a diffuser that I couldn't use or that wasn't "real world".

The diffusers are fine and do work, but our standards require we show the diffuser a little differently and then show an insulated plenum (typically a prefabricated duct mate type box) attached to the neck of the diffuser followed by the flexible duct connecting into the side of the plenum. Basically in plan view, it looks like a diffuser with a box on top and flex duct coming out the side of the box. I have found this arrangement all set up as a 3D block, but am confused to whether I save this as a block or insert it somehow into this MV build a part thing? Sorry if I am repeating the question here. I love the simplicity of plain AutoCad, so this part of MEP really throws me.

MEP does not have this as an option that I can see... I would love to have this set up as an intelligent part so that it will change according to the diffuser size I select.

Are there resources on the internet where you can purchase (or for free) and download all this set up?

Thanks.

Edited by Mech Designer