Looking for Mice suggestions

Hollyfeld

Hello everyone. A little background here first. I have been using mice with thumb buttons programmed to OSNAP and ORTHO for many years now. I started out with the Microsoft Intellimouse and I loved it. I went through two of them and then switched to the Logitech MX518. I have gone through two of them over the years and loved them as well.

My current MX518 is on the fritz so I ordered a new Logitech 400s. It arrived yesterday and i installed it right away. The gaming software that Logitech has now did not recognize the mouse so I tried installing Setpoint which always workred in the past. Lo and behold the Setpoint program no longer has the "advanced features" that allowed me to program the thumb buttons to F3 and F8. I tried reinstalling the MX518 and but my thumb button settings were gone.

I called up Logitech and asked for their assistance. They informed me that the Logitech Gaming Mice cannot be programmed or used outside of games. In other words, I cannot use the thumb buttons in Autocad anymore. I also couldn't get the Gaming Software from Logitech to recognize either of the mice. I was infromed that they removed all gaming mice from the Setpoint software. I expressed my disappointment with this news and was told that many people are complaing about not being able to use the thumb buttons for non-gaming programs.

Soooooo... I am in need of new mouse with programmable thumb buttons. I've seen the Razer Naga, but think that the placement of all those buttons where my thumb rests could be an issue. I want to be sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can program the buttons and be able to use them in Autocad. I'm already in the process of returning the 400s and don't want to go through that again.

May I please hear some suggestions?

Is there a reason why you don't just buy another 518?

Did you try installing an older version of Setpoint with the 400?

I love my Logitec M705's. They actually have 3 programmable thumb buttons in addition to the programmable tilt wheel buttons. Two of the thumb buttons are where you'd expect, the other is basically hidden under/below the thumb rest. I have the thumb buttons set up for Properties, Undo, and Cancel. They are wireless, but take 2 AA's and easily last a year. My 2nd favorite is the MS6000 mobile mouse, It's small and ambidextrous (one programmable thumb button on each side) in addition to the programmable tilt wheel buttons.

Edited by nestly

Logitech no longer produces the 518 so I am not able to purchase a new one.

I asked the Logitech rep on the phone if they could email me a link to an older version of Setpoint and I was told that Logitech removed all gaming mice from all versions of Setpoint. This made no sense to me, and I had him repeat what he said incase i misunderstood him, but I did not.

They may have discontinued, I believe you can still buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50

and I was told that Logitech removed all gaming mice from all versions of Setpoint. This made no sense to me, and I had him repeat what he said incase i misunderstood him, but I did not.

Yeah, what he told you was utter non-sense, they don't (and couldn't even if they wanted to) alter older versions of Setpoint. When I first started using Logitec, the shipped version conflicted with my video driver... it took about 10 seconds to find an older version on the web and download.

Whoa! Thanks for the link, but I'm not about to drop that amount of cash on a mouse that I can't use in Autocad.

I like your suggestion of the 705, but I prefer wired mice.

Whoa! Thanks for the link, but I'm not about to drop that amount of cash on a mouse that I can't use in Autocad.

I like your suggestion of the 705, but I prefer wired mice.

Wait, I don't understand. Did you not say you used to use the MX518 for AutoCAD and liked it? That Logitec guy you talked to is an idiot, you need only load Setpoint from your previous mouse, (or download the same version you previously used) to make the new 518 work like your old 518.

Kinda looks like you may not have been happy with the 400 even if it had worked. I'm not familiar with the 518, but apparently it is/was pretty iconic. The price on the link I posted did seem high, but I'm not sure if that's because they're getting rare, or because the mouse is just that good?

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series-Gaming-Mice/If-you-loved-the-MX518-DO-NOT-buy-the-G400/td-p/691248?nobounce

I did say i liked the 518 for Autocad - heck I LOVE it! I have one here at work and at home. My issue was that the current version of Setpoint and the only available version on the Logitech website, do not allow you to program the buttons anymore. When i installed the 400s it wiped out the old Setpoint and I was not able to go back. I just googled "old versions of Setpoint" and found a website called oldapps.com. I downloaded a version of Setpoint from 2 years ago and it worked!

Thank you, nestly for your time and suggestions. As far as i can tell, the version that i just installed also fixed my 518 from being on the fritz.

All is good in the world once again.

Well, awesome!

When I find a mouse I love, I always keep a brand new one on the shelf. If you love that mouse and the price isn't out of line compared to what you originally paid, I'd be on Amazon placing an order right now.