Cannot rotate dimension text to desired angle

jdavid10

Hello everyone,

I'm making this diagram of the load condition acting on tunnels to explain a Japanese set of equations that are used for the structural analysis for tunnels:

load condition for EEM.jpg

But, there is one problem I have. I'm trying to set up the text for the dimension between the water table and the tunnel "Ha" to look horizontal.

However, if I click on the properties box and write 90 in the rotation box right next to where it says "text rotation," the dimension text does not rotate 90 degrees; if instead I try to rotate it 180° then it only rotates 90° (and in the opposite direction) instead of 180°. It doesn't matter how many degrees I choose, it won't rotate my dimension "Ha" to desired angle to make it look horizontal.

OK I know it's hard to explain my problem with just writing, so I've posted a few pictures:

In this one, the dimension is at 0°; I've only opened the properties box to attempt and rotate it:

no rotation.jpg

Now I write 90 in properties box but the dimension text does not rotate at all; it remains at 0 as it is shown in the following image:

90 & no rotation.jpg

Next I try to rotate 180, just to see what happens; and it does rotate (only 90 degrees!):

180 rotates 90.jpg

I finally try to rotate the text 270 just to see if it rotates to desired angle and it does rotate (180 degrees from original position). As shown below:

270 last try.jpg

It doesn't matter how many degrees I choose, I cannot make it look horizontal.

Is AutoCAD wrong? Or am I wrong? icon8.giflol xD

Any ideas? icon3.gif I'm about to loose a quarter pound of my hair from just thinking about this. Lol just kidding but this is very annoying.

How can I set up my dimension text "Ha" to look horizontal?

Please help.

The text rotation property is the angle from the system null direction measured in an counter clockwise direction. The standard null direction (although you can set it to whatever direction you want) is east, which means from any point horizontally to the right.

What you have shown with your "Ha" text rotations is entirely consistent with the above explanation. The dim style will have no effect on the text rotation, unless it has been set p differently to the standard direction.

What happens if you click on the dimension and change from ISO to Standard?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43942[/ATTACH]

Hi JD Mather

Thanks for the help.

It solved the problem.

But how come it does not work with ISO-25?

Do you know?

The text rotation property is the angle from the system null direction measured in an counter clockwise direction. The standard null direction (although you can set it to whatever direction you want) is east, which means from any point horizontally to the right.

What you have shown with your "Ha" text rotations is entirely consistent with the above explanation. The dim style will have no effect on the text rotation, unless it has been set p differently to the standard direction.

Sorry, I don't understand your explanation.

But how come it does not work with ISO-25?

Do you know?

Compare the two dim styles, looking at the Text tab, text alignment. ISO is set to aligned with dimension line, the other one is Horizontal.

Compare the two dim styles, looking at the Text tab, text alignment. ISO is set to aligned with dimension line, the other one is Horizontal.

Oh ok, I thought that "aligned" only meant that the text could have any direction (but within the dimension lines).

So, the orientation of the text in ISO-25 is set to be fixed within the dimension lines then. (?)