light emits from center of image instead of light source

ThrashMetal

It's really difficult for me to speculate on what might be causing this, and since I don't use Vray, I'm really clueless about light settings and things of that nature. Do Vray lights have a "Decay" setting? If so, try switching the Decay Type to "Inverse Square" and see if that helps any.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThrashMetal

• Cad64

• SLW210

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do Vray lights have a "Decay" setting? If so, try switching the Decay Type to "Inverse Square" and see if that helps any.

vray ambient light does not have a decay setting, its the light in vray which you have only to settings to tweak like the "intensity". i've tried other lights but had the same result, i will try to use other lights again and set it to "inverse square". thanks.

Is that a large window in the first image? You sure it is not coming in through the window?

yes that is a large window but it located 2 meters above the floor line and if we look at the 2nd image posted, the light is emanating from below. i thought that too at first so i blocked the window and deleted the vray sun, the result was the same, i still was illuminating from the center of the image and not from the light source.

im still curious about the fact that when i increase the intensity, the center part of the image gets brighter but the area where the pinlights are is not affected at all.

what im doing right now is repeating the model and making sure there are no holes i might have missed in the first model.. i really hope this works, im running out of time. :(

Like already mentioned by Cad64, "where are your lights located?

i guess you didnt see my previous post, well i always locate my lights to where the light fixture is, in this case its inside the hollow cylinder located on the wooden dropped ceiling and i modelled it to look like a pinlight and made a glass like cover at the bottom to allow the light to pass through, this was suggested by JD MATHER in his previous post. so all the pinlights you see at the ceiling has a vray ambient light, intensity is set to 1.

wireframe screenshot

i dont understand this much cause i never did it before.

wireframe screenshot

i dont understand this much cause i never did it before.

Just switch to wireframe display and then follow the instructions I posted here:

How to take a screenshot: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

I don't think I'll be able to help you though. I don't use Vray and I don't know anything about Vray lights.

There are several tutorials around for "Using Vray lights in 3ds Max", you might want do an internet search to step through some of those tutorials to see what you missed.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is because these lights aren't meant to be used like this.

Ambient lights are generally used as a fake to increase the overal brightness without a specific direction. They're pretty old skool - avoid usually.

So try another type. :)

Also in general - if you have problems with lighting any scene, try each light on its own to see how it's contributing to your overal lighting solution.