Anyone Still have Autocad R12 Windows?

TAZIN

The extension for R11? I think so. Wasn't that "c2" or am I thinking of something else? I'm pretty sure I've got it back at the office.

I don't really remember what it was called. Looked like someone had force fit a Windows 3.1 interface onto a dos program. It was horribly slow, even when just typing in commands. We were running the best 386's money could buy in those days, as I recall I had a whopping 8mb of ram, and a 15" color vga monitor. Man, I was cooking, but even on that speed demon, you could easily type faster than the interface would respond. It was so bad that you could type "open" and it would appear one letter at a time about a second apart. We messed with that for about 3 days, and scrapped it. Fortunately, it was a demo version that we didn't have to pay for. By then, I'd figured out how to write "*.pif" files (the youngsters will have no idea what that is..hehe) so we'd run the regular release 11 and the dos version of 12 in a window. Pop it up full screen when we really needed to concentrate on something, but that gave us the ability to be able to toggle back and forth from the drawings to the software we used to route parts through the shop and not have to have paper drawings on the desk. The biggest reason for that was that there were 7 of us in the office, and we had one serial pen plotter (which I have here at home now, poor useless dinosaur). We avoided plotting as much as possible. A "d" size sheet could take as much as an hour to plot. If we all had something to plot, we got one page a day each.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• TAZIN

• Raggi_Thor

• Jack_O'neill

My favorite was R11 on Ultrix :)

I also remember R13C4d etc, I was working for a reseller at that time, quite embarassing. We also had the problems with Norwegian characters (æøåÆØÅ) turning into "?" in millions of drawings...

It would struggle with standard ASCII characters in a lot of cases too. The degree symbol is one that comes to mind. If I recall correctly, that was generated with a %%D in Autcad. ASCII coding is "alt248". Put the ASCII code in, you'd get a question mark every time. I had to edit several lisp routines that used ascii codes because of that.

I never really understood why they got in such a hurry to get that version out. The version they sold wasn't even really ready to go to what used to be called "beta testers" (don't know if that still exists these days). They had no real competition in this price range in those days, so why the rush? Not only did that encourage other companies to challenge them in the market, it encouraged customers to ask for something else too. They are really lucky that r13 wasn't a "fatal error".

• 4 months later...

Could someone please repost the R12 version of ACAD, or the R13 version?

I have a printer that only allows printing from my R12 version, and now that its broken it needs to be reinstalled.

Please save me! :D

Edit: I actually need the dos version.

Razaroth:

I think you have CADTutor confused with a warez site. We don't post AutoDesk software for free download. It goes against our policy.

Could someone please repost the R12 version of ACAD, or the R13 version?

Repost??? When was it posted??? :?

If it was, it would have been removed immediately. We're not that kind of site. :glare:

Why don't you just buy a new printer? :unsure:

Cad64:

A link to download r12c4 was posted at the bottom of page 1. I clicked on it and was brought to a download site that mentions a file r12c4 win.zip. So I then clicked on 'Download'. Not to worry. The file has expired. How did that one get by the mods? Even I don't recall it and I posted a couple of comments to the thread back when it was started. I need new glasses! LOL

Hey! read the post. it was the TEXT LIST of the cd content

"dir *.* > cd.txt" (see the file size is +/- 1.4 Mb)

and the acadapp requested. Not the full CD !

and of course i used yousendit knowing it expires soon.

---

btw, you cant stop your production due and old printer device. this is nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably eight months too late. I have R13 disk 1995 C3. Locked. Useless. Think I may use it as a coaster for my cup of tea unless someone wants it.

• 4 months later...

Since this thread is turning into a request thread, it is now closed. Please do not ask for, or provide, download links to old versions of Autocad or any other software. CadTutor is not a warez site, it is a CAD help forum. We will help you with your CAD questions/problems, but we will not help you obtain free versions of the software.

Thank you