Need some files converted - .easm files to Revit and/or AutoCAD

PotGuy

Hey all,

At work, I've been asked to find a way to convert 3 files from solidworks (.easm) to either a Revit file or DWG. File. To view these files we've used a free Solidworks viewer.

We don't use Solidworks nor plan on buying it as it would be cost prohibitive and we don't use it at work.

If anyone can convert these files it would be greatly appreciated. The attached files are for a Plant vehicle we've been sent and the Senior CAD guy would like to make both a CAD and Revit file for it.

Cheers,

PotGuy

The files aren't attaching, so I'll look to dropbox you the files when I can.

I don't use Solidworks, although if Solidworks can do it, then you can download the free 30 day trial of it and use that to convert the files.

I'm afraid I need v7 or v8 files to import.

I'm not sure what version these ones are. How do I check?

I will also check whether it will be OK for me download the 30 day trial.

EDIT: If at all possible they don't want to download the 30 day trial.

Edited by PotGuy

You can't "convert" to Revit. Anything having to do with Revit Families will need to be created in Revit's native Family Editor. You can, however, import an exported version of the SolidWorks file into a Revit Family, but this method is highly frowned upon in the Revit community. Attached are the file import options you have to work with inside a Generic Family template. Hope this helps for whoever comes along to assist in the export.

revit_import.PNG

.easm is similar to Autodesk's .dwf file, it is really for viewing and mark up, you'll need to get the originator of the file to export to .dwg.

You can check on the site eDrawings they have a free publisher and a free trial for publisher pro, not sure if even Solidworks can convert them, I have all of that uninstalled right now.

Probably will have to just be redrawn in AutoCAD or Revit.

Appreciated Frampton and SLW.

As per a previous Thread I had made for Revit I understand that you lose all 'smartness' with a dwg file in Revit, so that's why I was hoping that a Solidworks file would be more successful.

I'll see what we can achieve my end; either we get some originator to send a dwg file, or another way round.

I can't download Dropbox, so I'll talk to the Senior CAD guy about it and go from there.

He's a good boss, he doesn't ask for the impossible and he knows that some things can't be done or at least not in some convoluted way!

Hell, he's taught me my CAD from scratch for a whole year and a bit now, poor sod!

I started at 16, been going a year and 2 Months. Only 18 and a Month now. old:

He knows I spend a lot of time on here hence why he asked me to put out a post with this issue!

Edited by PotGuy

Is there anyone using Solidworks who can confirm that what I've gathered here is that the Revit model needs to be started from scratch and that we need the person who made the file originally to convert to a dwg, or get the 30 day trial?

Is there anyone using Solidworks who can confirm that what I've gathered here is that the Revit model needs to be started from scratch....
You don't need a SolidWorks user to confirm something regarding Revit. You need a Revit users to confirm this - again the answer is yes, do it from scratch if you can. You will save yourself a lot of headache in the end. Revit is a very proprietary software that doesn't play well with outside filetypes and geometry. It is getting better, and future developments show that native conversions are in the near future. Until then, recreate it from scratch in Revit is the best (and should be the only) option.

Hope this helps.

again the answer is yes, do it from scratch if you can.

While that may be one option, if the budget isn't there, it's not always possible, in which case the converted version (presuming it works) would have to suffice.

While that may be one option, if the budget isn't there, it's not always possible, in which case the converted version (presuming it works) would have to suffice.
Exactly. Budget rules all decisions, which is why I stated "if you can" and still gave the O.P. the options to import. "Import", not convert. There's no way to convert files to native Revit geometry, unless you have Revit 2014 and the geometry is very, very simplistic (basically a primitive).

It is not possible to convert files from eDrawings (.easm or otherwise) into a Solidworks part/model/assembly.

It can be saved as an .stl file which is used for 3d printing, but this must be done when the edrawings file is created using Solidworks on the initial save. When you Import an stl into SW though, the file is corrupted and unworkable.

There is no point getting a trial version of SW to test this.