Aligned Dimensions vs Rotated Dimensions

Also be sure to pick the 'aligned dimension' method and not the 'linear dimension'. I hope that works in Revit as it does in AutoCAD.

I prefer the Rotated option of Linear Dimension over Aligned Dimension in most cases.

I prefer the Rotated option of Linear Dimension over Aligned Dimension in most cases.

Interesting SLW. Why do you find it better, is there not more work involved in creating a linear dimension and then rotating it and how do you get it aligned precisely to the two points?

Hey what happened here? :shock: :shock: :o :o

I didn't start this thread I just replied to one. Has a Super Mod split it up or have some of the posts been deleted?

Not much work involved, just hit R and select the line to align with or give an angle. Aligned doesn't do offset situations very well, like a notched end, angled end, etc., everything must be aligned. As with all things AutoCAD it depends on what your doing, if already doing Linear, just hit the R and select the line or angle. I do a lot of design work so I modify a lot.

As shown, it is option for Linear Dimensions.

Doesn't completely replace the need for Aligned, but saves switching commands and provides leeway in dimensioning at an angle, compared to the few uses of Aligned.

First two are Aligned the last is Rotated.

Rotated Aligned.jpg

When you read command line there is an option for:

[Mtext/Text/Angle/Horizontal/Vertical/Rotated]: r

Not that I can see on my screen. All I have is the following when I select Linear:

Command: _dimlinear

Specify first extension line origin or

@ SLW. Right I see what you mean by dimensioning corners and I have to agree with you it is better.

I find it easier, and safer, when attempting to do a dimension that is not perfectly horizontal or vertical to switch my UCS, and then dimension normally. No suprises that way and your dimension text will appear correct (remember that a drawings dimensions and text is supposed to be read from the bottom up or from the right).

For example; If an object is say drawn at an odd angle, say 37 degrees from horizontal. I type UCS (yes I still use classic and abhor the Ribbon, it's faster for me to use keyboard shortcuts then hunting for things), select E (for entity) than pick towards one end of the line, to orient my starting position. My UCS is now rotated (not my crosshair) true to my object. Dimension horizontally/vertically as required, and if you need to change your UCS back to normal, just type UCS again and .

This way you can stretch your dimensions without fear of them distorting. Aligned dimensions have their place, but I find it not very common.

Well look at that!

Very interesting SLW, never noticed that option, I typically use DR which I have set as the alias for DIMROTATED, instead

of DIMALIGNED, because when extension points are staggered, aligned dimensions don't work properly.

I saw that in a Lynn Allen post, for which I am eternally grateful, as I wasn't a cad user back when DIMROTATED was

still in the mix. This is a very nice alternative, thanks. :beer:

IPA in one big mug.

Off topic

Fixed now, at least everybody knows what I was thinking about. Cept I was thinking more like Guinness.

Well look at that!

Very interesting SLW, never noticed that option, I typically use DR which I have set as the alias for DIMROTATED, instead

of DIMALIGNED, because when extension points are staggered, aligned dimensions don't work properly.

I saw that in a Lynn Allen post, for which I am eternally grateful, as I wasn't a cad user back when DIMROTATED was

still in the mix. This is a very nice alternative, thanks. :beer:

I used to use DIMROTATED and still do on occasion, but much easier to start with Linear when dimensioning and stay in the same command.

It would be nice to just start a single DIMENSION command and switch to all options while in the command, like Angular, Radius, Diameter, Aligned, etc.