Deleted Xref layers still appear in host drawing

msanders

I have a number of layout tabs with varying layer controls applied in multiple viewports. This layout may be made up of a number of xrefs. I end up with a lot of layers in the host drawing from the xrefs, and even after I purge the xrefs to eliminate some of the xrefs, the layers remain in the host drawing, even though they no longer exist.

Is there any way to update the xref definitions to get rid of the layers without losing the layer setups I have? VISRETAIN is set to 1, and if I reset it to 0, I will lose all of the viewport controls I have put in place. Thanks for any help.

Yes. I get out of AutoCAD when I leave for the night, and when I come back, the extra layers are still there. Is there some other system variable besides VISRETAIN which would control layers display in xrefs?

Do the layers appear grayed out in the layer manager? They did for me until I closed and re-opened the file. Then they were gone.

Verify that the layers have been purged from the XREF file.

It appears that they have been removed when I get into the drawings this morning. It is weird, but I know I have run into this before. Maybe it is a case of I didn't get out and get back in before. Anyway thanks for your help! This happens a lot for us because our template drawing has a lot of unused layers that we purge eventually, but not at the beginning. I hope it is resolved.