DWG to 3DS Import less than sub-par results

tzframpton

screenshot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4989089/Images/cadtutor/2013-11-01%20-%20guitar%203ds/guitahh_case.PNG

I searched the site and found a few threads that helped me define the "best settings" for importing a DWG file. I imported my guitar projects and definitely was not impressed with the results. They're not even usable. Is there any hope?

Fwiw I'm finishing the project in the authoring software that I started with so this is definitely not a huge deal. At best, I'm glad I found that NOT starting in AutoCAD is best from here on out, lol.

Thanks in advance! -Tannar

• 1 month later...

You are going to love this. Try importing the DWG as a 'Legacy DWG'. The dialog is a little different, and the curvature is intense.

Also, apparently with the standard dwg importer the curves get truncated based on the units- if you scale your guitar up by 1000 and then re-import, it might improve the curvature on typical import- then you'd scale it back down by 1000.

You are going to love this. Try importing the DWG as a 'Legacy DWG'. The dialog is a little different, and the curvature is intense.

Also, apparently with the standard dwg importer the curves get truncated based on the units- if you scale your guitar up by 1000 and then re-import, it might improve the curvature on typical import- then you'd scale it back down by 1000.

Hmmm, very interesting. I like the idea of the scale trick. Thanks for this tip, I'll try it out when I get a chance.

:)

• 5 months later...

You can use the Rendered Object Smoothness parameter (Options, Display) to control the tessellation parameter (triangle size) before you save the AutoCAD file or export as an STL (stereo lithography). STL files define solids as a surface of triangles and are often used for 3D printing. Better yet, export the AutoCAD file in the .igs format (Initial Graphics exchange Standard) and the surface will be defined as NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline) surfaces which provide precise curvature. NURBS surface can be converted to Editable Meshes once in Max.

AutocadRenderedSmoothness.jpg

3DSMax-ImportedFromAuotCAD.jpg

So I tried the *.IGES option and the results were almost flawless! That's an awesome tip. There are some geometry that's pretty complex and there are some artifacts that were generated but very minor cleanup overall. This gave me new life for my final renders.