Rendering Workflow between networked computers?

tzframpton

My new laptop is coming in and I'll be loading my home use license on it. I got to thinking.... I have a pretty good workflow for using extra computers in doing rendering in AutoCAD... I'd use RDS to remote into another computer and XREF the model I was working on into a drawing, set up some cameras and when I was at a good point to render, I'd reload the XREF and render, so that I can keep working on the model and utilize a 2nd computer to take the render beating.

Well my laptop is definitely stout enough to handle 3D modeling, so I was wondering if there's any best practices on "referencing" 3ds Max scenes in a similar workflow above?

I have hardwired my house with gigabit ethernet so at my designated areas I have great connectivity to my network and WHS. The new build is very stout too and would easily be my rendering machine while I casually work downstairs at the kitchen table... which also makes my wife happy because she feels like I'm not tucked away in my office upstairs and I'm having "family time", haha.

Anyways, sorry to get off track. Anything out there for me to look in to? Thanks in advance!

- Tannar

Seems a little more "commercial" than I was going for, but if the setup and execution is easy then I'll definitely look into it. I have my new rig (which is a mild powerhouse), a stout HTPC, a semi-stout HTPC, and two other Core 2 Duo machines laying around. So needless to say, I have four computers that I can use for this and would definitely be awesome actually.

I'll read the info and look into it. I think for now I just wanted an easy way to "render while I work" but this would be great for final outputs. Thanks again Cad64. :)