New work computer, more powerful or not?

Glen1980

Looks like your platter drive spins at 7200 rpm. I see there was an optional 120GB SSD. Too bad they didn't add that to the mix. You could have put your programs on it and used the platter drive for your data storage.

Your computer also comes configured with 4 DIMM slots and can max out at 32GB of RAM.

What OS will you be running and what version?

Sorry I didn't see the OS question. I will still be running win 7 64 pro fpr the forseeable future. 2011 Vanilla AutoCAD, Sketchup 8 with VRAY rendering possibly a trial of Revit LT.

It is a shame they didn't get the SSD £70 bought me a 120GB one and it really made my i7 at home fly!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glen1980

• ReMark

• Barneel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never understood why companies bother with budget workstations for things like CAD. I always thought that, in the long run, spending a few extra squids for a strong workstation will save you money through the time you save... Not to mention saving your sanity.

We are a developer rather than just architectural. The big boss worked his way up from Carpentry so never had to use computers like we do. My director was strictly pen and paper.

IT are getting a price for a quadro 600. It seems £100ish+VAT is the limit they can spend without director input.

Anything to look out for or at that price range take what I can get?

£100 isn't a very big budget :( You'll be looking at an AMD card most likely.

Perhaps an AMD Radeon HD 7990?

Not delt with AMD a whole lot in the past though so don't want to say too much. One of our older CADstations uses this card I believe - don't think we ever had any problems with it, we updated our other computers cards and this one got left behind.

I would aim to stretch for a quadro 600 :) It'll probably be slightly over budget (unless you find a good deal) but I think it'll be worth it for the better performance and reliability.

One Quaddro 600 installed!!

My 3d models pan and orbit so much more smoothly! Just remains to see how it deals with day to day CAD work :D

Glad to hear it works smoothly! Let us know if you have any problems. I was using our workstation earlier that uses a quadro 600 and it still seems to be running strong :D I think it's a couple of years old now