AutoCAD Running Object Snaps = #

PotGuy

AutoSnaps Use  

24 members have voted

1. 1. AutoSnaps Use

At work, I notice that some of the newer draftsman (Me and about 3 other who have been there for 1-4 years) tend to prefer AutoSnaps on in some capacity and those who have been there for 7+ years tend to leave it off.

This has got me thinking about whether people prefer having AutoSnaps on in some capacity or another at all times.

I tend to leave on End Point, Mid Point and Intersection on at all times, and just use CTRL + Right click to adjust as necessary.

Anyone else have a particular leaning to one or the other?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• nestly

• PotGuy

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this is a serious question... so if people don't use osnaps what do they use, temporary snaps all the time? Or do they just not snap at all?

Personally I have every single osnap option toggled on and osnaps are on 99% of the time.

How do you you work without snaps? :s I assume you mean they use gridsnap or something instead? Or have I misunderstood something.

Using only gridsnap would significantly restrict what you can do with AutoCAD

Anyway I voted 3+ :) Same as Organic, except osnaps are on 99.9% of the time instead. Only time it gets turned off is if I accidentally press the osnap off button (which does happen from time to time...)

Not sure if this is a serious question... so if people don't use osnaps what do they use, temporary snaps all the time? Or do they just not snap at all?

Personally I have every single osnap option toggled on and osnaps are on 99% of the time.

The point of my Thread is more about whether people prefer to have AutoSnap off and use as necessary, or prefer to have it on constantly.

Also, liking the new Christmas Avatar.

How do you you work without snaps? :s I assume you mean they use gridsnap or something instead? Or have I misunderstood something.

Using only gridsnap would significantly restrict what you can do with AutoCAD

Anyway I voted 3+ :) Same as Organic, except osnaps are on 99.9% of the time instead. Only time it gets turned off is if I accidentally press the osnap off button (which does happen from time to time...)

I'm not talking about grid snaps or any other toggles like Ortho. etc., I'm referring to only whether you keep certain OSnaps on at all times.

I'm a bit confused because the poll says "AutoSnap", but describes "OSNAPs" Not the same thing... OSnaps work even when all the AutoSNAPs are disabled.

I keep all the AutoSnap options on, and 3+ OSNAPS running for both 2D and 3D.

2D = Endpoint / Midpoint / Center /Quadrant / Intersection

3D = Vertex / Midpoint on edge / Center of face

I'm using Endpoint, Midpoint, Center, Quadrant, Intersection and Insert set on Auto.

What really scare me is the activation of Nearest, since I was some issues in the past that mostly were coming from that; but some people insist of keeping it on Auto, even if advise them against.

I'm a bit confused because the poll says "AutoSnap", but describes "OSNAPs" Not the same thing... OSnaps work even when all the AutoSNAPs are disabled.

Sorry nestly, I'm referring to when you can have snaps appear automagically when hovering over an object.

I use end, node, centre, quadrant, intersect, apparent intersect and extension Object snaps and mid, nearest, perpendicular and between to points from shift right click as needed. I don't trust nearest, perpendicular as object snaps.

I'm not talking about grid snaps or any other toggles like Ortho. etc., I'm referring to only whether you keep certain OSnaps on at all times.

Oh I think I understand what you're referring to now. Thanks

....tend to prefer AutoSnaps on in some capacity and those who have been there for 7+ years tend to leave it off.

Do you mean running object snaps?

That is not the same as Autosnap.

Do you mean running object snaps?

That is not the same as Autosnap.

Sorry nestly, I'm referring to when you can have snaps appear automagically when hovering over an object.

If possible, can the Mods please rename the Thread to something more accurate than I have initially put, please?

I have them on and a few set, but usually I Shift+Right-Click and select.

AutoSnap

Controls the display of the AutoSnap marker, tooltip, and magnet. Also turns on polar and object snap tracking, and controls the display of polar tracking, object snap tracking, and Ortho mode tooltips. The setting is stored as a bitcode using the sum of the following values:

0 Turns off the AutoSnap marker, tooltips, and magnet. Also turns off polar tracking, object snap tracking, and tooltips for polar tracking, object snap tracking, and Ortho mode

1 Turns on the AutoSnap marker

2 Turns on the AutoSnap tooltips

4 Turns on the AutoSnap magnet

8 Turns on polar tracking

16 Turns on object snap tracking

32 Turns on tooltips for polar tracking, object snap tracking, and Ortho mode

OSMode

Sets running object snaps.

The setting is stored as a bitcode using the sum of the following values:

0 NONe

1 ENDpoint

2 MIDpoint

4 CENter

8 NODe

16 QUAdrant

32 INTersection

64 INSertion

128 PERpendicular

256 TANgent

512 NEArest

1024 QUIck

2048 APParent Intersection

4096 EXTension

8192 PARallel

To specify more than one object snap, enter the sum of their values. For example, entering 3 specifies the Endpoint (bitcode 1) and Midpoint (bitcode 2) object snaps. Entering 16383 specifies all object snaps.

When object snaps are switched off using the Osnap button on the status bar, a bitcode of 16384 (0x4000) is returned, in addition to the normal value of OSMODE. With this additional value, developers can distinguish this mode from Object Snap modes that have been turned off from within the Drafting Settings dialog box. Setting this bit toggles running object snaps off. Setting OSMODE to a value with this bit off toggles running object snaps on.

In AutoCAD: End, Mid, Cen, Int and perhaps a few more always running. I type the rest. Never have Nearest on running. I have very few things that I insist users should or should not do - not haveing Nearest on always is one of them .

Civil: No Osnaps running at all, I type in them all. There is just too many lines and objects and whatnots for me to be sure what I will snap to this time.

I tend to run with most of the object snaps on, never nearest(what the &^% is that used for), but I do turn them off occasionally, mostly when moving or copying mtext objects. The snaps on the text objects are different with each justification parameter, so they can be bothersome.

.... never nearest(what the &^% is that used for)...

I use NEA very rarely when the only requirement for the geometry is being colinear, but I'd never ever leave NEARest running.