AutoCAD Running Object Snaps = #

PotGuy

AutoSnaps Use  

24 members have voted

1. 1. AutoSnaps Use

I don't think I've ever needed two lines to touch, but where they touch is of no consequence.

:o No worries, I'm just as amazed that someone out there has never needed this. There are a LOT of things in AutoCAD that I've never used though, so maybe it's not so surprising.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• nestly

• PotGuy

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use nearest for making sure my leaders are on the object they're supposed to be on and not just in the general area of the object.

Yes, that is a good example.

Yes, I know some people will say what difference does it make if the leader actually "touches" the object.... :glare:

Yes, that is a good example.

Yes, I know some people will say what difference does it make if the leader actually "touches" the object.... :glare:

Very good example actually. I work with engineers, so meticulousness is very present in my everyday work. Especially the structural engineers. I've gotten back redlines for this exact example... the leader head was barely offset from a steel member or concrete pile. And I don't mind at all, really... just the way their brain's operate. Using Tuns example would actually help me mitigate this occurrence happening.... IF I still used AutoCAD as my primary drafting tool.

I've gotten more meticulous on some things through the years, and less on others. For example, my HVAC thermostat symbols used to have Point Parameters on all 90 degree quadrants so they precisely "touched" the wall when I placed them. I've since purged the Point Parameters and I just place them. The lineweight thickness works in my favor and now I'm not spending too much thought and effort on them "touching" the wall.

Also, another thing regarding accuracy. I don't know if a lot of people are aware but AutoCAD actually has a tool that comes from the Revit world (and is very well liked among the Revit community). The Nudge tool. While any object(s) are selected, hold Ctrl+Arrow Keys to "nudge" the objects in any orthogonal direction. Zoom level affects the nudging distance. It's so convenient at times, and can further diminish accuracy methods we all were once used to.

;)

With nudge in ACAD it can be very accurate by turning SNAP on, nudge will use the snap setting rather than pixels.
Yes, very good addition rkent. I recently found this out when I *accidentally* had SNAP on. Grid Snap is non-existent to me so I never remember about this additional Nudge feature.

Very good example actually.

I actually use NEAR for a lot other things, but I'm not going to elaborate on them because I *know* there are other ways to do it, and frankly I don't want to get into "why don't you just...." and "that is a dumb way of doing it..." type of conversations. :geek:

I actually use NEAR for a lot other things, but I'm not going to elaborate on them because I *know* there are other ways to do it, and frankly I don't want to get into "why don't you just...." and "that is a dumb way of doing it..." type of conversations. :geek:
pretty much why I haven't contributed. MOST of my drawings are wiring diagrams and with snap & grid set correctly a drawing can be produced VERY quickly without any object snaps.

For example, my HVAC thermostat symbols used to have Point Parameters on all 90 degree quadrants so they precisely "touched" the wall when I placed them. I've since purged the Point Parameters and I just place them. The lineweight thickness works in my favor and now I'm not spending too much thought and effort on them "touching" the wall.

Tannars comment just reminded me of the other reason som eof the guys use nearest in my office, electrical symbols on GA plans. These get used at 1:20 and 1:50 so tidy placement on the lines is good practice plus a little obsessive compulsive!

I use the majority of Osnaps and keep them on permanently; End, Mid, Centre, Quadrant, Intersection, Insertion, Perpendicular, Tangent, Nearest.

I only read a few of the first posts of this thread and saw some stuff about the nearest Osnap and what is it good for? Personally, I use it to give me greater control of my crosshair so it doesn't flick to different parts of the screen. If AutoCAD is finding it hard to select the particular Osnap I require I just use the 'shift / right click' override.