CADmonkey4228

Currently working on some as-builts. Wondering if there is any program that will import gps coordinates from my handheld device and place them onto google maps images and then import that image with those gps waypoint into autocad.

Thanks in advance

What is "as built"? I've never heard of that before. As for the GPS to AutoCAD, I have no idea if something like that exists. You can try some sort of work around like importing a map into AutoCAD or something. Maybe someone else knows of a program that does it.

As-built meaning what has actually been installed compared to what was originally designed on our plan. For example, when an irrigation mainline is supposed to be placed 5 ft from a sidewalk and then for whatever reason ends up being placed 3 ft from said sidewalk. Basically I am trying to see if it is possible to take a handheld gps device out onto a project after it has been installed and place waypoints over valve boxes, sprinkler heads, and other landscape elements and then transfer these onto a calibrated basemap to get accurate placement of these different elements. Rather then going out with pen, paper, scale, and trying to best estimate and locate this elements on a plan.

I have found a program called GPS2CAD, but am having a hard time with the demo version and don't want to buy the full on version before I can test out all the bugs.....

What is the accuracy of hand held GPS now? It used to be +/- 5m at best.

I don't think you could distinguish down to 2ft.

You might be more accurate with a tape measure.

If you have the original, can't you check the field dimensions based on the original? Just note the differences and draw them out. That's if the GPS isn't accurate enough that is.

Yes we have originals, again it just comes back to finding a more efficient way of plotting points onto a plan by pulling those off the gps and having them dropped right onto plan through google images or maps and then inserting that drawing with points onto cad.

But when it comes to accuracy of the gps device and google maps or earth is where we run into problems. If I could go out and plot a waypoint for a valve box on site and be within 5 ft, then be able to transfer this onto cad, itd be faster, easier to plot out an entire site rather then measuring off of building corners or existing elements to get locations for heads, valves, walls.

If you have the original, can't you check the field dimensions based on the original? Just note the differences and draw them out. That's if the GPS isn't accurate enough that is.

Yes this is our current system, trying to move away from it

First off what type of GPS unit are you using and what format does it export to? Second if you're using AutoCAD LT you are limited on most methods to do this. Most add-ons are either lisp or VB apps that can read the gps data. Getting the points from the GPS to Google earth is easy if it's the sport grade unit. There are a few free programs out there for that. Search GPS waypoints into Google Earth or KMZ files. Last even when you get the points on GE there's no easy way (free) to get that over to AutoCAD dwg anymore. There used to be an app for Full AutoCAD that did it but now Google wants money for it.

Have you looked at AutoCAD Map3D? That's the program for doing this type of work.

I wouldn't think a handheld GPS won't be accurate enough. You would need a surveyors GPS system (not cheap) to get any real accuracy.

Although given you are using Google Maps this may be overkill for your application given the resolution of the images typically available. E.g. in Google maps will you even be able to tell the difference between a point 0ft or 2ft from where it should be?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I wrote this 8 yrs ago.

It was at the time when OziExplorer was #1 software for creating maps.

Nowadays I use something else..

Anyway, It's quite straight forward.

Unzip and put lsp and dcl file in appropriate search dir.

Usage:

type "Geo" to use.

Load attached file, bullervall.log (bullervall.log is a NMEA-stream)

Zoom extents and you will find an polyline positioned in Swedish grid.

Add the other *.plt file and you will find a track over some 16 km.

Note:

Not all functions are not implemented.

geoCalc.zip

Edited by Ankarsvik

Don't abandon all hope. The OP could download BabaCAD and its lisp extension. BabaCAD could open the drawing (if saved to 2007 file format) and maybe the GeoCalc lisp would work. Can't say for sure since I don't use BabaCAD.