3D object to 2D only

AmazingTrans

Everybody,

I have 2 questions I am going to ask. I have uploaded the 3D drawing on this post for assistance.

1. When I create a new drawing on the autocad electrical 2013, I noticed a 3D compass on the top right. Does that mean the drawing is a 3D drawing? If it is, how do i work in 2D mode?

2. I have a 3D object, and I would like to only copy one of the view as 2D. For example the front view, I click the compass Top view and it shows the front view of the object. How do I extract this front view only, copy and paste into the 2D drawing? I noticed when I select the front view, it actually selects the whole object.

Hope to hear from someone.

Cheerio

1769-pa2.dwg

for #2 a command called flatshot will do this.....

i expect it can be done in modelspace, but i do it from PS. my procedure:

get a viewport set up with the part positioned how you want it and scaled how you want.

lock the vp

d/click inside the vp and start the flatshot command.

follow the instructions on the command line and pop-up box.

a flat copy is produced in ms. i then changespace it to ps. sometimes autocad places it a distance away from the orig geometry and i have to go into ms to move it to where it is visible from my vp before i can cs it.

may differ with 2009....2008 seems a bit buggy with some 3D stuff...

#1 AutoCAD doesn't really distinguish between 2D and 3D drawings, If you want a drawing to be 2D only, then only draw on the XY plane. The compass and ViewCube in the upper right corner are still useful in 2D drawings for rotating the view. It can however be turned off using NAVVCUBE from the command line and/or Tools > Options > 3D Modeling > Display Tools in Viewport

#2 FLATSHOT as Mike described, however I don't go out of my way to use Paperspace, as it works the same either way. FLATSHOT only projects 3D Solids and Surfaces, so if you need the 2D line work/text, you'll have to copy or add them to the FLATSHOT blocks.

Here's a quick tutorial using your drawing. -->

FLATSHOT only projects 3D Solids and Surfaces....
Does FLATSHOT work on surfaces now? I was always under the assumption it was Solids only. Nice tutorial btw. :)

Also, VIEWBASE seems to be making a name for itself too for 2D representations of 3D objects.

Flatshot projects solids, surfaces and meshes for as long as I've been using AutoCAD for 3D (2010) The one thing it won't do that wish it would is project a non-uniformly scaled (3D) block.

VIEWBASE has a lot of potential, but I personally won't use it on any of my work drawings due to unresolved bugs, the most serious of which can cause the source objects to become corrupted. :o

Flatshot projects solids, surfaces and meshes for as long as I've been using AutoCAD for 3D (2010) The one thing it won't do that wish it would is project a non-uniformly scaled (3D) block.
Wow you're right... just did a test and it worked. Looked at the Help file and FLATSHOT now says "Creates a 2D representation of all 3D objects based on the current view." I remember FLATSHOT coming out in 2007 and it could only do solids up until a certain version I guess. Awesome!!

VIEWBASE has a lot of potential, but I personally won't use it on any of my work drawings due to unresolved bugs, the most serious of which can cause the source objects to become corrupted. :o

FLATSHOT will also work on Xrefed 3D objects.

VIEWBASE has a lot of potential, but I personally won't use it on any of my work drawings due to unresolved bugs, the most serious of which can cause the source objects to become corrupted.

What version does this occur in?