Possible to project edges of editable polygon surface onto another?

spittle

I have a wall that is cladded with a corrogate sheeting.

I modeled a large sheet by drawing a spline profile, then array, then extrude. I then used railclone to make this follow another spline drawn on the edge of my roof.

Problem is the sheet now intersects the ground. I need it to terminate. So I either need a good method to slice against the ground surface or a way to project my polygons down to the ground.

Railclone is a plugin. It is just a quicker way to arrive at placing the cladding along a path ad dealing with the vertical slicing at the corners of the building. And can collapse to editable poly and work from there.

Another way to explain is that my corrogate material needs to be vertical but the elevation of the paths marking the top and the bottom vary.

Can you provide some screen shots? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're trying to do. :unsure:

Can you use Quick Slice? Or maybe Boolean using the "Union" option? That would give you a slice along the ground surface and then you could delete the polygons you don't need.

Hi

I used quickslice but say I need to edit this and lower part of the wall and it needs to meet a surface that is at a different angle - I now have hundreds of verts. A way to select certain verts and project down would be handy. No screens at the mo unfortunately.

A way to select certain verts and project down would be handy.

What about using the Align tool?

Select the verts you want to project down

Click the "Align" button on your toolbar

Click on the surface you want the verts to align with

Set your "Align" preferences

You may have to do a little tweaking afterwards, but the Align tool should get you most of the way there.

Align.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. If the lower surface is more complex then it doesn't work unfortunately.

I've found a workable solution - a means to project would be better and quicker but what I did was:

- select the lower edge loop of cladding (on my model there is about 30 edges hence why a means to project all of them would have been great)

- extract as shape

- use itoo glue plugin to glue to the 'lower surface' - it's free: http://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins/glue.php

- it will create a new spline on the lower surface. Extrude that downwards so that geo is below lower surface - called 'new surface'

- select cladding, add new new surface

- bridge

- then delete the polys that are below the lower surface.

On a similar note - if I had created my walls using simple polygons rather than the pre modeled sheets - would there be a way to slice equally spaced vertical edges around the perimeter wall polys of the house? Connect would work if the top and bottom of the wall were horizontal...