similar tools to wipeout

Hey everyone,

I am currently looking for a tool like the 'WIPEOUT' tool.

the main difference being that i would like to wipe just 1 1or 2 layers, so that the other layers still show.

Does anyone know the options for this one?

tnx in advance,

AFAIK there is no tool that will act as a selective wipeout, but you can use draworder to achieve that. Otherwise it will mean using solids and setting items to different elevations and using the hide command.

If you are attempting to "wipe" everything on a layer isn't that kind of like turning the layer off or freezing it?

If you hide a layer would you still want to be able to draw on it?

Are you working in model space or in a layout using a viewport?

First off, thanks for the replies.

the idea is, that i need only certain areas of a layer (multiple, in fact 3) to show in a viewport. imagine a street were only 1 house + its garden can show in the viewport. but some parts of the neigbbours' houses will be visible. due to privacy issues the content in / around the houses cant be visible. this can be done with clipping viewports and creating viewport overrides for the layer's visibilty properties.

the problem is that u quickly add up on viewports (some times 5 to 6 for a single A4 print and we put a lot of A4 prints in a single paperspace tab due to the size of projects) and this slows down your ACAD its speed. the other is that its a bit of a boring b*t*h, and very time consuming.

So basicly what i am looking for is a "lighter and faster" way of doing things.

But the quality haas to be good visually.

i have tried & considerd 'HIDEOBJECT' & 'WIPEOUT' and solid hatches. but eventualy the clipped viewport is the cleanest way to do this. but it takes forever to get a project set up.

Knipsel.jpg this is a screenshot of a before and after clipping , so u wont see any of the info from the neighbours. but u do get to see their houses, property borders,.... this is important

All the information shown is probably public record so I have a difficult time understanding the "privacy issues" explanation. It's not like you are detailing the house's security system.

Anyway, I like the clipped viewport approach as I think it works best but I'll give it some thought.

Meanwhile, if you'd just attach a sample drawing to your next post that would be helpful. We like to play with these sort of things you know? Oops, wait....you can't do that. Privacy. OK.

Grab a cup of coffee while we ponder alternatives.

How about the "that's so obvious, I should have thought of that" approach, use 2 viewports, just make a copy of the first viewport using 0,0 as the base and displacement points (so it's on top of the other) and reduce the size of the second one to the property lines. In the large viewport use viewport freeze for the invisible layers, and in the smaller leave them alone.

@ ReMark

the privacy is a just because different house have different bills... why do i pay 5000 when my neightbour pays 50, nagh nagh nagh. i am definetly not a fan either.

So, i'll try and whip-up a DWG without the privacy issues ;) and pm this later.

@ steven-g

We already tried this one, apparently it was not good enough, don't remember why actually ( its been a year ), also, because u end up still clipping, because we have to put on 2 extra viewports on top of this one for an overview :) not a joke, hence the number of 5 to 6 viewports (4 as a bare minimum).

i will look in to this again and hope i can find something.

I'm with Steve on this one, well almost. Coincidental viewports, one for the just the utilities (private stuff), the other for everything else. Set-up could still be time consuming, though, but with a bit of practice should go fairly quickly.

or put the different houses' utilities on different layers? i understand this might be difficult if you have loads of houses. but you only need to alternate, if you only ever risk seeing your neighbours' info?

The OP only needed to show one house. Therefore the easiest/quickest solution is/was to create a viewport that is just slightly bigger than the lot the house sits on. Nobody gets to see what is going on in the yards/houses of the neighboring properties. Sometimes we over think the problem.

In post #7 the OP stated that he does need to show the neighboring houses, it is the services to neighbors that need to be hidden, and the OP was looking for a quick and effective way of doing that, but sometimes quick isn't an option

The property lines are important. On that point I would agree but seeing the neighbor's house on either side wouldn't make one bit of difference since anything that goes to the house from the street does not pass over the adjacent properties nor emanate from a neighbor's home. Anyway, the property in question can be identified by house number/street name independent of surrounding properties/houses. Does your plot plan show your neighbor's house? It might only if you live in a subdivision and individual plot plans were not created.