what hardware configurations for the future

hht

hello,my laptop has broken down so i have to buy a new computer.so i m thinking

about what kind of laptop i should buy.I want to use it for autocad and solidworks

at least coming three versions of them,namely coming three years.so can you give some advice please?for example what graphics card would be a better solution?

what is importand for choosing a graphics card for autocad and solidworks(also

matlab and mathmatica).for example is amd radeon hd 8970 a good solution?

and i5 central processing unit, and 4gb ram,windows 7 or 8, 64 bit i must hurry up because of exams.my old laptop was four years old and had ati radeon hd 4650,but it was working with

2013 programs very well.

Edited by hht

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• hht

• nestly

If you have the budget I'd recommend looking at the laptops available at Xi Computer. Any one of the three, properly configured, should easily last you three years. As much as I hate to say it I would consider Win8 - 64bit with 8-12GB of RAM and if possible a SSD for your programs with a regular platter drive for data storage. Definitely opt for a dedicated graphics card unless you find something that says the newer GPU's are worth it.

If you have the budget I'd recommend looking at the laptops available at Xi Computer. Any one of the three, properly configured, should easily last you three years. As much as I hate to say it I would consider Win8 - 64bit with 8-12GB of RAM and if possible a SSD for your programs with a regular platter drive for data storage. Definitely opt for a dedicated graphics card unless you find something that says the newer GPU's are worth it.

hello mr.ReMark.what did you mean with Xİ Computers and any one of three? hard disks(you said SSD) are always enough in every computer?but what what is regular platter drive?

Xi Computers has three different laptop configurations: PowerGo, PowerGo XT and PowerGo 15/7.

You have three options as far as hard drives. There are the solid state hybrid drives, normal (platter) drives and true solid state drives. I think Xi base configurations utilize a hybrid drive.

F.Y.I. - Hybrid drives are storage devices that combine NAND flash solid state memory with hard disk drive (HDD) technology.

A platter drive uses metal disks and a read/write arm. Haven't you ever taken apart or seen the inside of a hard drive?

Thanks a lot for the information.the first time i tried to see i had broken my desktop pc.but i saw some hard disks they were called sata (2) and what makes xi computers better than non xi

From PC World:

(Serial ATA) The standard hardware interface for connecting hard disks and CD/DVD drives to the computer.

SATA2 is just a newer (2002) faster version of the interface. Pervious interfaces were PATA and IDE. And don't forget SCSI too although most people wouldn't recognize that interface.

That's what they claim and their performance in the Cadalyst magazine roundup/test seems to bear that out. Caveat emptor: Xi computers tend to be pricy. Dell's and HP's have been mentioned as cheaper alternatives by others who claim they work just as well. For specific models you would have to take a look at some of the more recent similar threads. There were at least one or two within the last month or so.

You have me confused with a writer for PC World I think.

I don't know. If it were me I'd read up on solid state drives because that's what I'd spec to run my programs off of. As long as my secondary data drive (platter type) is spinning at 7200 rpm and not 5400 rpm I'd be happy with that configuration. Kingston, SanDisk, Crucial and OCZ all make good solid state drives (amongst others) but I don't know who makes the best.

Intel also makes SSD hard disks... Samsung too. You'll have limited choices of hard disk manufacturers in any pre-configured system, but I wouldn't get hung up on the SSD brand, just the size (Gigabytes) and the type (SSD vs platter).

SSD's are faster, will consume less power, and will "probably" last longer than a conventional hard drive.

That to me suggests a hybrid drive. My preference would be for a dedicated SSD and a dedicated platter drive. Two separate and distinct drives. Now ask me why.

amd radeon hd 8670 enters the best gpu list from the number the number 117 ,8850 m ranks 68th,8610g ranks 145th.But here is the problem is combination of 8670m + 8610 g as double

gpu.is it beter than (117.th plus 145th) better than 68th? combined system has also a10 cpu(equivalent of i7) but 8850 m has i5.which one would be a better choice? and I also heard

that nvidia cards have a better performance on cads than that of ati?Is it realistic?I think you have clear ideas.combined system is hp ,other one packard bell.

I am definitely not a fan of Packard-Bell. Their desktops were terrible and I wouldn't expect any better of their laptops.

have you ever heard that they could easily be broken? what do you think

about the gpu s i asked? which one can have more performance with 8gb rams?

my old samsung could be broken easily.

Why do you want another laptop?

What are you prepared to spend (max) on this system?

another laptop? i have already said that my old laptop has broken.i have to buy a new one because of projects and cad programs and come to conclusion of two laptops. before i said first one hp pavilion with a10(equivalent of i7) and combination of (8670 117 th and 8610 g) and the second is packcard bell with i5 and 8850 m(68th).laptops have 750 gb and 8 gb rams.i have to hadle at last this weekend after i will be very busy,i cant join pc world forums because there was a problem(i think on the site).do you know other good hardware forums? i m waiting for you valuable comments.both of them has a suitable costs.but packbard bell is 100 dollars cheaper.

Edited by hht

Personally I wouldn't go within 10 feet of a Packard-Bell computer. But it's your money so buy whatever you want.

Why not buy or build a desktop computer?

What is your max budget?

Other good hardware forums? Have you tried Tom's Hardware?