How do I permanently attach materials & textures to objects

ajac63

I've created a number of models/scenes in 3Ds and exported them to .obj/.mtl - so I have a number of sub folders each with 1 x .3ds, 1 x .obj & 1 x .mtl - but when I open a 3ds file/scene the materials are not applied; I get a pop-up saying that external material files could not be found. If I could permanently attach or embed materials to objects/scenes then it wouldn't matter where the .BMPs, etc are. So, is there a way to do this?

There is no way to embed a texture into a model. A texture bitmap is an external file. It is not a part of the model.

Why are you exporting your models to .3ds and .obj? If you're only working in Studio Max there is no need to export to different formats. Just save your models as .max format. Then use the Import > Merge function to import your models into different scene files. If you save your texture bitmaps in the same folder with your .max file, they will automatically load when Merged into a scene.

If you export to .obj format, just make sure your bitmaps are saved in the same folder with your .obj file and they will load when you import the model.

If you export to .3ds format, you will have to manually reload your bitmaps after importing.

Apologies, I meant 1 x .max, 1 x .obj & 1 x .mtl, not 1 x .3ds...

I know that bitmaps are not part of the model, I was just wondering if I could embed materials (or textures...) into/onto objects.

Why was I exporting to .obj? For the usual reason, ha, ha.

Anyway, I understand what you mean when you say that bitmaps should be in the same folder as the .obj, but this doesn't explain why materials were not applied to objects when I opened the original .max file, not the .obj file.

Before exporting to .obj I had no issues, materials/bitmaps were showing as normal even though they are in another folder.

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm really confused here. Why were materials showing when I opened .max files before I exported to .obj but not after, even though .mtl files were in the same sub folders as the .obj and .max files?

This thread is not resolved so either answer my query or close my account. I didn't sign-up to here just for the sake of it!!!!!

either answer my query or close my account. I didn't sign-up to here just for the sake of it!!!!!

Really?

For your information:

1. I don't get paid to be here. I volunteer my time, when I have time.

2. You are not being charged anything for membership so you have no right to demand service of others who volunteer their time and knowledge for free.

3. I'm not your personal tutor. If you want immediate and full time assistance, I suggest you look into some type of formal training.

4. I've been away for the past 2 days. I just got back about an hour ago and checked in to see if you were still having problems, but this is the response I find?

I don't respond well to demanding members, so I will walk away from this thread and let someone else handle it, and any further, queries you may have. Or, if you would like to have your account closed, I can arrange that for you.

Have a great day. :)