Helix Ends Up Short

Bill Tillman

I'm drawing a helix in a 3D model. I set the UCS to the bottom center of the same 3D rod in my earlier post. I set the options for top and bottom diameter, number of twists and then where I want the top of it to be. It draws the helix just fine but no matter where I chose to place the top of it, the helix always ends up about 1.25" shorter than what I'm intending it to be. The UCS is set to follow the same tilt as the rod. HINT: I'm drawing a spring around the rod part.

I resolved this by picking a point 1.25" higher than what I wanted and it drew the helix just fine, although it's not that accurate now, the spring ends up inside of the top plate. No big deal, but I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong here.

Perhaps your helix height is being set by the number of turn and pitch rate? I typically just edit the overall height in Properties palette if it's other than what I intended.