Spam

JD Mather

I understand that advertising is needed to support a site such as this, but if I see much more like this I will not be back.

Spam.jpg

This was in the banner adds and linked to (in my opinion) underhanded, deceptive spam.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CADTutor

• tzframpton

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with you JD.

I block all the ads in Firefox, so I have never seen that,

but that is definitely unacceptable, I am surprised that

who ever checks advertising content didn't kick that

one to the curb. :beer:

That one is still not as bad as the CGI half nude woman that kept lingering for awhile. It's the main reason I installed AdBlock, lol. Home was fine, but at work... no sir.

Have you thought about using AdBlock, JD?

That one is still not as bad as the CGI half nude woman that kept lingering for awhile. It's the main reason I installed AdBlock, lol. Home was fine, but at work... no sir.

Have you thought about using AdBlock, JD?

that one got my machine blocked at work. Their IT policy doesn't allow any additional software to be installed (which I consider AdBlock to be) and the CGI woman also triggered another of their filters. This site was relesed after a week but I couldn't access it for that time and subsequently have got out of the habbit of posting here so much as I used to.

that one got my machine blocked at work. Their IT policy doesn't allow any additional software to be installed (which I consider AdBlock to be) and the CGI woman also triggered another of their filters. This site was relesed after a week but I couldn't access it for that time and subsequently have got out of the habbit of posting here so much as I used to.

A flash drive, portable apps system and portable firefox or chrome will take care of those issues.

http://portableapps.com/

Install and use what you want and take it with you ;)

I've never seen any ads at Cadtutor, which is probably because I block all but the essential scripts, but I think the point is that no one wants to see that "type" of ad here.

I don't pay much attention to the ads, To be fair I don't think CADTutor picks the ads himself, but I'm pretty sure he can stop certain ones that are "problem ads", I had one a few months ago that would open up just by moving your mouse over it, and I haven't seen it since mentioning it here. Having said that, just two minutes ago after coming back to the computer from making a cup of coffee, the ad at the top of the page had opened itself up in several new windows on my browser (it was a Belgian ad so I won't bother showing it), I hadn't clicked on it and CADTutor wasn't even the active page at the time.

To be fair, I don't think Mr. CADTutor has much control over the exact banners that display. I think it's a combination of his site categories plus your cookies/browsing history.

Well if you don't buy bras, panties and bikinis then you should be pretty safe from "those" kinds of ads!:shock::lol:

What if I don't want to be safe from "those" kinds of ads. :?

I believe Steven is correct, you can specify that your ad package not contain certain types of ads. My experience however is that the ad companies are always pushing the limits and you have to keep after them or they start serving ads that wouldn't have been permitted under the original agreement

To be fair, I don't think Mr. CADTutor has much control over the exact banners that display. I think it's a combination of his site categories plus your cookies/browsing history.
That is exactly it. My dog has her own Facebook page(ghost written of course) and since she is a single female:lol:, she does get some of those types (undergarments and swimwear) of adds on her facebook page from places like Norstroms, nextag, amazon, etc. Since I use the same browser for this forum, and google being what it is, they will occasionally bleed over here. One does not even have to click on any of the adds, them just being there is enough. I just clean out my history if I think it is getting to be a little much.

I have found it is a huge waste of time to block adds on facebook, and I have never looked into blocking on this site. I don't really get that wound up about it. However JD's experience is another whole story. To me, that banner is a criminal act, at least morally.

How long does it take moderators to contact admin?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45599[/ATTACH]

Hey JD, clear all of your browsing history, cache and cookies and see if that yields better (different) ads.

Dear all, thanks for bringing this to my attention. The ads that JD is seeing are unacceptable and underhand; they're not the type of ads I want to see on this site. There is very little information given on the ads JD has shown here and in order to do anything about it, I need the URL that the ad points to. If I have that, I can ban ads from that advertiser - which I would like to do.

That is correct. I can't vet every ad that displays on this site because most of them are generated on the basis of your own browsing history. However, I do not display certain categories of ads here. I do not allow ads for gambling, dating, sexual health and a few other sensitive categories.

I believe Steven is correct, you can specify that your ad package not contain certain types of ads. My experience however is that the ad companies are always pushing the limits and you have to keep after them or they start serving ads that wouldn't have been permitted under the original agreement

Sadly, this is true but if anyone spots an ad they don't like, all you need to do is send me the URL via PM and I will stop it from displaying on this site.