In 3ds max when blocking in the area of a face I am modeling with a plane I keep havi

justinsloan

In 3ds max when blocking in the area of a face I am modeling with a plane I keep having to readjust my view so the axis is readjusted accordingly to get the effect I want. When I try it the normal and convenient way that most use to model in 3ds max the shape I am sculpting from the front view looks fine, but then when I readjust the view ill find my polygon extending out so far that I find the shape I thought I had sculpted from the front view was merely an illusion. How can I produce my intended feature without having to readjust my view and sculpt with ease so the shape I am sculpting from the front view is not an illusion from every other point of view and the polygon is actually taking the shape that it should?Also when I go to insert a new polygon to sculpt around a reference image the polygon does not show up on the intended area of the reference image but rather behind the reference image, why is that?

It sounds like you're trying to work in a single viewport only. This is fine if you're an experienced modeler and you know what you're doing, but if you are a beginner, I would recommend that you work in a 4 viewport layout so you can see the front, left, top and perspective views on screen at all times. Working this way will allow you to see immediately if your vertices are flying off into space as you're moving them.

If polygons are showing up behind your reference images when you place them in the viewport, you probably need to move your reference images further back so they sit behind your XZ plane in front view, YZ plane in Left view or XY plane in top view.

It's a bit hard to tell from what you wrote exactly what the problem is but I think what you're dealing with might be solved with a combination of viewport choice and setting, and gizmo/snap setting.

If you are starting in one of the 3 ortho views, the viewport you start in starts the object at 0 (depth) in that viewport but if you snap to anything in the world (in that viewport) it will be in front of or behind, and this is not visible until you turn the camera. If you're snapping to your reference by accident, freeze the reference or change snap settings. Autocad has a switch called OSNAPZ for drawing in this way against something happening 'behind' your work plane (UCS). If this is what you meant, I wish I knew of a way to establish a working plane for drawing splines. I get this kind of stuff happening when I want to draw a spline profile 'in place' and as I draw it there's a strong tendency to snap to the foreground or background. you can work like this in perspective but it's just a pain, like you said it's best to do this in the ortho views, starting at 0 but how you choose to align things is up to you.

You can use the gizmo setting between "view" "screen" "world" and "local" to see if you were accidentally moving the wrong handle. Screen will always give you X and Y according to what you are seeing, regardless of the world orientation.