Grips on solids

sofa

When I select a solid I can never know where the grips will appear. I personally would like to have grips on the edges (vertex?) points and other geometrically interesting points (centers of arcs, circles..).

Is there a way to get it

CTRL-Select may or may not display additional grips depending on whether SOLIDHISTory is enabled. Having said that, I never used AutoCAD2007, so my previous comment may not even be applicable. :unsure:

I tried to import a picture but could not from my computer, only from URL. I did ATTACH the picture of my question. I am not sure how it is visible so I will add short explanation: I have two solids; first selected gives grips on all points whereas the other had only one grip. I drawed the two the same way???

I was trying to align those solids on the center line of the hole in them ( to move them to the same vertical line )

grips.JPG

That doesn't look like a screenshot from 2007, you should update your profile.

Regarding grips, IMO you probably modified the part with only one grip, changing it's solid "type". As for moving/aligning, you don't need grips for those operations, only OSNAPS.

Untitled.gif

You are quite right. When registering I made a mistake - I was using 2007 a while ago. Now it's 2013. Anyway: I expected a very straight or simple answer to my question: IS THERE A WAY I CAN DEFINE WHERE GRIPS WILL APPEAR???. A while ago I selected the same solids again and got again one grip on BOTH solids. WHY?

I designed both solids by making a box and than slicing it! No way I used extrusion.

I use ACAD only for my own needs and am very far from being qualified. For instance I cannot follow explanation of nestly (can't find 'geometry' in the properties, don't understand how snap to center of circle occurred...)

Attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post.

Personally I'd use the ALIGN command.

You do have Center set as one of your OSnaps don't you?

Sorry about not giving a direct answer. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to display grips at every corner (vertex) on a 3D solid object. At best, 3D "primitives" (box, cylinder, etc) will display multiple grips at the "base" and defining geometry, but even those wont have grips at each corner. I think when you modify a 3D primitive so it's no longer a "primitive" ie SLICE, then the solid will have only one grip. The "Geometry" section will only appear in Properties for unmodified 3D solids, ie before it's SLICEd

With regards to "snaps", everything in AutoCAD becomes easier when using OSnaps, so I recommend familiarizing yourself with them at your first convenience. With OSnaps, you'll quickly learn how to move objects in AutoCAD to the exact location you want them. Here's a link to a OSnap tutorial here at Cadtutor, but you may be able to find similar tutorials in video form by searching Youtube. http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/object-snap.php

BTW, to update your profile, click on the "My Profile" link at the top right of the page next to your username, then click the "About Me" tab. The little pencil in each field is the "edit" button.

Even before this thorough explanation you have made me try to repeat your previous example. So I found out that in 'move' while defining base point a simple right click enables choice of snaps. Excellent!

Of course I am very grateful especially to you as well as all others. It just proves that having socializing with clever people is always useful.

Thanks again.

I don't know of a way to truly "define how grips will appear" either. That doesn't mean that the number and type of grips that will appear for different solids is random, though.

It is important what nestly said in post#9 of this thread about how editing a solid can sometimes change its "type". Once a solid type changes from, for example, "extrusion" to a generic "none" solid, its grip funcionality will change.

Check this post I made several months ago, specifically post#5 where I mention a solid type called "none". Also, post#11 where I mention testing how different solid types will have different grips.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?79070-Difference-between-3D-solid-types

The OP could also resort to using subobjects ( Vertex, Edge, and Face) and Gizmos (Move, Rotate and Scale). Just have to remember to turn Culling off so all the grips that are available can be seen.

Sory for late answer.

The only thing I knew in acad was to create solids you mention. Grips on those solids were more than helpful to manipulate. And grips in 2000 and I also believe 2007 (used it much less) were more stable than Swiss banks. And that is not the case with 2013. I have learned that there are a number of tricks to overcome the problem. To my level of knowledge these tricks do not always work and are not as reliable as were 'in old times' grips.