Convert OLE to Autocad object or Excel to edit

RRS1987

Dear All,

Wish you all very happy new year....

I have load schedule drawing with OLE object (as excel image with out any link) . I want to make some changes in this load schedules. so what should I do to make the changes as I want. Could you please some one help to me. your attention and reply will be highly appreciated.

thank you very much.

RRS1987

Don't you just double click on the OLE object to open the program the file was created in?

Addendum.

I was mistaken. You have to click on the OLE object (i.e. - the spreadsheet) then right-click, go down to OLE then select OPEN from the flyout. Now your OLE object will open in Excel.

Edited by ReMark

Example of OLE object (i.e. - spreadsheet) in AutoCAD.

ExcelOLE1.jpg

Example of same object opened in Excel after following my previously posted instructions.

ExcelOLE2.jpg

Now go ahead and make your changes.

Dear Mr.ReMark

Wish you happy new year 2014...

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried what you said for my thread. It doesn't work. The message from auto cad that " Failed to launch server application ", when I tried your suggestions in my drawing.

I have to say something about my drawing, so that may you can realize my drawing status. That drawing, I got from one of our consultant. In my drawing I can see the excel sheet as image. there is no link with this spreadsheet.

Once again thank you very much for spending your valuable time to me.

RRS1987

I have to say something about my drawing, so that may you can realize my drawing status. That drawing, I got from one of our consultant. In my drawing I can see the excel sheet as image. there is no link with this spreadsheet.

Then you won't be able to change the ole object or edit it.

You can either

- ask the consultant to change it

- ask the consultant to send you the spreadsheet so you can change it

- retype the spreadsheet in Excel

- use solid, colour 255 hatches (i.e. white) to hide parts of the ole object and write over top of those parts with your edited text

Dear Mr.SLW210,

" Try Select OLE object>Ctrl+C>Edit-Paste Special>AutoCAD Entities (select PASTE option). "

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion & I doesn't work. In paste special I couldn't able get autocad entities in this condition and also I have installed MS excel in my system I tried in MS excel also.

Once again thank you very much.

RRS1987.

• 1 year later...
Is MS Excel installed on your computer?

Try Select OLE object>Ctrl+C>Edit-Paste Special>AutoCAD Entities (select PASTE option).

I know this is old, but this does work. BUT, you need to paste it as an image, then right click on the image and edit the image. The text is editable (or you can copy out and put directly in a cell to create a new spreadsheet). I hope this helps.

• 5 years later...
On 13/02/2015 at 15:54, John3x75 said:

I know this is old, but this does work. BUT, you need to paste it as an image, then right click on the image and edit the image. The text is editable (or you can copy out and put directly in a cell to create a new spreadsheet). I hope this helps.

This worked for me! Thanks a lot, un editable spreadsheets has been a bugbear of mine for a while now! never got to the bottom as to why they became un editable though especially as it was happening in drawings that I had created in the first place!

cheers

rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I suggest you don't copy and paste from an Excel file into AutoCAD but use 'datalink' and create a table. If you use this method you just need to reload the datalink through the xref manager. The method is;

1. Create a named range in your excel file. This is the bit you want to see.

2. In AutoCAD type 'datalink' 

3. Select 'Create a new Excel Data link' and give it a name.

4. Use browse for a file to select your excel file.

5. Under link options select 'Link to a named range' and select your range. You don't have to select this as you have other options but this is my preferred method.

6. Click OK

7. In AutoCAD type 'table'.

8. Under Insert Options select ' From a data link' and pick the name you gave the datalink.

9. OK it and pick a spot for your table.

This is my preferred settings when creating a datalink.

image.png.fc08ac7c86a325cf084db6b8c2006693.png

If you update the Excel file and save it, you then go back into AutoCAD and type xref , right click the datlink and select 'Update data links'.

It is slightly longer but far more reliable and it allows you more options on the presentation.