Sooo confused. 32bit? 64 bit? huh?

Stinsoneer

Need to buy a new laptop, mine is quite old. Right now I have ACAD2002, XP. Obviously a 32 bit system. However, if I upgrade in a couple years to some newer ACAD, I may be using the wrong OS, or have the wrong hardware, or whatever. What are the rules? I read in your FAQ's that "AutoCAD 64-bit cannot be installed on a 32-bit Windows Operating System." but what are the other rules? If XP comes in both 32 and 64, Vista comes in both 32 and 64, hardware in both as well, how can you mix'n match or must everything always be one or the other? Should I buy a new laptop with 64 bit hardware system now to run my current 32 bit software with a 32 bit OS, in anticipation of needing 64 bit later? :?

I would recommend going with a 64-bit version of your OS and AutoCAD as this computer will probably last you a few years. No sense down the road regretting you hadn't thought ahead. As a CAD professional you should try to stay ahead of the curve.

Here's what I know so far: It seems that you must have a 64 bit motherboard to run 64 bit, but a 64 bit board can run 32 bit with a 32 bit OS. You can partition the hard drive to run either system, in 32 bit or 64 bit. The Dell people were not upfront with this, that the XPS 17" laptop does not come with 64 bit hardware:x . They claim it MAY be upgradeable in the future, but not at this time. Of course, that would mean an all-new motherboard. (The XPS 15" laptop does come with the 64 bit hardware, however.) I have been told that @XI and Lenovo laptops can come with a 64 bit board. Also, there isn't much other software that works with 64 bit at this time, besides AutoCAD 2009, so if you needed to use MS Office, you would need to use 32 bit. Files don't transfer between the two, apparently. There is much concern about the newness and possible unreliableness of the 64 bit systems, and several folk have advised waiting a year for the kinks to smooth out on the 64 bit OS. Everything comes automatically with Vista, but you can only get the "downgrade" to Win XP if you ask carefully for it. XP Pro 64 bit is impossible to get, since MS will not support it anymore. So I guess the advice is be careful to ask questions when you order a system (especially with Dell) to make sure you get what you want.:huh:

Also, there isn't much other software that works with 64 bit at this time, besides AutoCAD 2009, so if you needed to use MS Office, you would need to use 32 bit. Files don't transfer between the two, apparently. There is much concern about the newness and possible unreliableness of the 64 bit systems, and several folk have advised waiting a year for the kinks to smooth out on the 64 bit OS.

Most of this is completely untrue.

Not to mention 64 bit operating systems have been around for years already. I agree that there were and still are problems related to 64 bit OS (especially driver related), but I don't think it makes sense to wait any longer.

Shocking! :huh: What I've learned so far is wrong? Thanks for the feedback, but lets continue the discussion. WHAT is untrue? Does MS Office come in 64 bit? Can you share 32 bit OS files with 64 bit OS, AND vice versa? That's why it's so confusing... salespeople offer comments, but have nothing definitive to back it up, [and I'm just as guilty:shock: ! ] Specifically to AutoCAD, are any older 32 bit version files usable on a 64 bit system? Can we assume that 64 bit files are unusable on a 32 bit system, or is that untrue also? And where does the motherboard work into all this? I am not a geek. Therefore, my head hurts.:(