Skewing a Block Vertically/Horizontally

Hey folks!

After an exhaustive search on the forums the closest thread similar to mine was this one, and it was never resolved :(

So here's my question in Video Form...

I find at least once every project I need to do something like this (skewing/forshortening). If I make a section view of a set design (cutting right through the stage), I'll do that by taking my set elevations and skewing them.

SOLUTION FOUND EDDIT:

Holy Balls, YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING. Behold: The solution, painstakingly outlined in VIDEO FORMAT, and annotated..?! Thank you all for sticking with me on this one. You make this community so welcoming and inviting.

When you get back up and running, here's a full demo of both the 2D and 3D methods described (assuming I understood Rob's description correctly)

Edited by OrangeFu
Solution FOUND!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OrangeFu

• RobDraw

• nestly

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately not everyone will be able to view the video (our IT department blocks such sites). Could you elaborate further on just how you want to skew the block? Maybe provide an image or two as well? Thank you.

bring up Properties for your block, you should have a Scale X and Scale Y option there, and you can enter a value in just the Y-box.

Unfortunately, it won't let me alter that property field. I even specified NOT to maintain uniformed scaling.

Unfortunately not everyone will be able to view the video (our IT department blocks such sites). Could you elaborate further on just how you want to skew the block? Maybe provide an image or two as well? Thank you.

I'm trying to scale an object un-uniformly. So if I have a square object I want to crush it into a rectangle.

Unfortunately, it won't let me alter that property field. I even specified NOT to maintain uniformed scaling.

And it is a Block? is it dynamic in some way? Can you explode it down to it's lowest form (lines) and then make a block? Don't know what would make a block not scaleable like this...

Thank you for the clarification. I think it might be possible but it would help if we could obtain a sample block. Any chance you could share one with us? Please.

Have you tried changing the block scale in the Properties Palette?

There is a lisp routine in the thread I have linked to below. Look at Post #4 by Tiger where she has included the SCALEAXIS.LSP routine. Maybe it might work for you. Worth a try, right?

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?23441-how-can-I-scale-an-object-only-on-one-dimension&highlight=scaleaxis.lsp

A little 3D magic will do this for you. If you go into the left or right view and rotate the objects to the desired angle, then go back to you elevation view, you will have what you need.

And it is a Block? is it dynamic in some way? Can you explode it down to it's lowest form (lines) and then make a block? Don't know what would make a block not scaleable like this...

I've tried making a brand new block out of basic lines. It's still refusing to let me touch those properties. Very funky.

Thank you for the clarification. I think it might be possible but it would help if we could obtain a sample block. Any chance you could share one with us? Please.

Have you tried changing the block scale in the Properties Palette?

There is a lisp routine in the thread I have linked to below. Look at Post #4 by Tiger where she has included the SCALEAXIS.LSP routine. Maybe it might work for you. Worth a try, right?

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?23441-how-can-I-scale-an-object-only-on-one-dimension&highlight=scaleaxis.lsp

I'm afraid loading a lisp is something I'm not too familiar with! Time to try experimenting.. I'm pulling out hair!!! This task requires so many hoops for me.

That solution is not going to give you the correct result. It will squish the block in one direction. The horizontal aspects will remain the same. They need to get smaller in increasing degrees as you go from top to bottom. Please see my previous post.

I've heard about the properties block not working correctly. I think there is a solution here in another thread.

Hm. Could be. If you start the CHANGE command, can that help? I am not at my desk so can't check it for myself right now.

No dice. Though it is a nice command I wasn't aware of before now.

A little 3D magic will do this for you. If you go into the left or right view and rotate the objects to the desired angle, then go back to you elevation view, you will have what you need.

The tricky thing is knowing precisely what view angle to use in order to achieve an accurate "Skew". I don't like the idea of playing a guessing game and getting *close* to the right amount of scaling. It has to be precise.

Does your properties palette populate if you select other objects... such as a line?

Nope. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this by the way. I wonder whats wrong

Have you used a registry cleaner? If so, you may need to repair/reinstall AutoCAD.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8227659&linkID=9240617

Regarding the original problem, if the lights are planar, I believe the technique I posted will be accurate, however if the outside lights are rotated toward the subject, then those have to be "skewed" independently. If you're at all familiar with working in 3D, that would be easiest way to complete this, IMO

I am sure that RobDraw's suggestion will do what you want. It is in effect Rotate 3D using a reference, which would be exact.

Can you post a drawing with this block? Then folk can have a go and see if their suggestions work?