Trouble using 'blockreplace' command

Bogbadbob658

I'm having trouble using the blockreplace' command. Every time I try it tells me the block name has invalid characters. The attached files is an example of the issue. I'm trying to replace the old block with the new block.

FILE_1.dwg

Could the problem be the fact that if one were to select the block the object name contains an invalid character or that the block also has anonymous name of *U19?

Command: blockreplace

Select an object with the desired block name...

Select objects: *U19

Invalid characters in block name.

The following characters are invalid:

\/": ? *|,=`

Select objects:

Command: LI

LIST

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

BLOCK REFERENCE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Handle = 1cef3

Block Name: "H534_old"

Anonymous Name: "*U19"

at point, X= 624.890 Y= 300.394 Z= 0.000

X scale factor: 1.000

Y scale factor: 1.000

rotation angle: 0.00

Z scale factor: 1.000

InsUnits: Meters

Unit conversion: 1.000

Scale uniformly: No

Allow exploding: Yes

Lookup: As

I did get the BLOCKREPLACE command to work.

Insert a copy of H534_old. Erase the previous version of the block. Run the PURGE command and use the Block option. Purge block *U19. Now run the BLOCKREPLACE command.

I assume the anonymous name is assigned because it's a dynamic block? So is there anyway of replacing dynamic blocks with the same block name but not the same anonymous name with another dynamic block? I'm trying to do this to a file that has multiple copies of the block.

The blocks where copied and pasted into the drawing. It seems to get the anonymous name once you have selected one of the dynamic options.

Did you access the link I provided in post #5?

I have read that anonymous blocks can be attributed to hatch patterns, dimensions, Autolisp and changing the visibility state of a dynamic block to name a few possibilities.

Put the new block into a separate drawing, with the 'old' drawing as active, open the design center dialogue and find the new block, right click and select "redefine only". That should work? providing the real names are the same

Did you access the link I provided in post #5?.

I did read this but my eyes glazed over. I don't understand scripting, its way over my head.

Put the new block into a separate drawing, with the 'old' drawing as active, open the design center dialogue and find the new block, right click and select "redefine only". That should work? providing the real names are the same

This worked fine (after I renamed the blocks to be the same, I should have read all of your post).

Thank you both for your help.

I did read this but my eyes glazed over. I don't understand scripting, its way over my head.

That post was about lisp not scripting. It contained code to be used in a custom lisp routine.

Well it doesn't matter at this point since you did find a solution to your problem which is all that really matters. Good.