UCS troubles, please help!!! :)

ColinPearson

Don't kill too much of your weekend, but I appreciate the help. This has been ongoing over many projects and I usually just deal with it - I can always pick a point and copy or xref based on a known reference point such as CL of a nozzle or something, but I'd like to take that potential error out and just combine the drawings based on 0,0,0 Thanks again!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColinPearson

• ReMark

• steven-g

• tzframpton

Type UCSICON and select the ORigin option, it places the ucsicon at the current UCS 0,0,0 as long as that is in the viewable area, when you change views the UCS reverts to the world UCS origin, 2 of the lines in your original drawing start at the world UCS.

I am confused...

I did not realize that changing the UCS permanently affected the origin. I don't draw using coordinates so I have never noticed this. However, moving the UCS to the ORIGIN option still changes the location depending on the View. That is, if I move the UCS to ORIGIN then change the view and do it again, the UCS moves again so I never have a fixed 0,0,0

Kill my weekend? I do that by going to Lowe's or Home Depot at least twice if not three times. Then I walk all the aisles looking at things I have no idea I needed until I saw them. I usually forget why I went there in the first place. LoL

OK....twist my arm. I'll limit myself to 30 minutes. If I haven't figured it out by then I'll give up.

Strange. If you go old school and type UCS > X > 90 and look at your UCSICON "Y" is pointing down not up. It's like something is upside down.

Why did you change it?

In a new drawing if you invoke the UCSORG command X, Y and Z are at 0.0000. Do the same thing in your drawing and this is what you get:

Rx-1_USCORG.JPG

Forget for a moment that my new drawing uses decimal units and your drawing uses engineering units both X and Y are minus values.

OK...I surrender.

Edited by ReMark

I go back and forth actually, sometimes I just like the rotation CW+ or CCW+, kinda weird I guess... But, what you found with the UCSORG seems to confirm that my UCS is all cattywompus. Truly a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot situation.

I didn't have any problems drawing from different views in your origin file. When copying from another drawing make sure you type ucs -w before hand in both drawings. Maybe you could just line up your point labeled 0,0,0 with the world coordinate 0,0,0.

When you xref'd this file into your main and it was off this might be why.

Capture.jpg

@Ninja Style: What does that do exactly? Maybe I'm not clear what World does... I thought htat reset the UCS to the original one after changing it with a 3 Point or Align to Face or something like that. And how to I get my files (hundreds of them) to have the same origin despite which iso view I'm in?

I get the UCS in the same place as Ninja, the world UCS is fixed you cannot alter that. I always use world as my origin, you can move the UCS anywhere you want but changing the view reverts back to world as the origin. If you move the UCS then that is 0,0,0 for any coordinates you enter. There maybe some method to fix the UCS at some other point for each drawing so that changing views keeps it there, but I don't know it, maybe a named UCS? But unless you need the UCS to be somewhere else I'd leave it at world.

Why is your UCS at a different spot, is there a reason?

There’s an interesting quirk. The UCS Manager (UCSMAN) will not allow a reset to the “World” coordinate system.

It will reset to a Named UCS. A new UCS could be created based on WORLD, but given a different name, “TempUCS”, for instance. Then the Orthographic views can be reset based on that UCS. Ideally that would get the views back to what ReMark has in his file in Post #7.

In the attached, I rest the Orthographic views based on the center of the circular hole in the upper bracket plate. That is an interesting bit of functionality I’ve never used before.

Manager.png

Rx_NewBase.dwg

@steven-g, I don't know why it's different. I move the UCS to a face or something like that pretty regularly, but I try to always type UCS>World afterwards b/c I figured that would reset it to the original one. There's probably times when I've forgotten to and maybe that's how it got changed, but I did not intentionally change it. doh!

@SEANT, I'll look today after (I've made coffee), but you're saying that I can not change the UCS that is invoked in the various Views, but I wonder if I can change the origin coordinates with it? .... Nope, well, kind of. I used the the UCS Manager to figure out which View's origin is not aligned with World, and then went back to the drawing, selected that view and used UCS>Origin to move the origin to that point in the offending View. It acts right, but back in the UCS Manager, the offending View still shows some non-zero coordinates for the UCS with respect to the World Origin. And when I switch Views and then back to the offending one again, 0,0,0 is no longer at the point where I moved it to. Sounds like you're idea of defining a Named UCS might be the ticket.

Thanks very much folks!

I'm not sure why you can't just move all your objects using your current origin as the base point to wcs origin. If your master file ucs was off when you copied the line into the new drawing it would explain why its off in the new one.

it might not be a universal problem so I wouldn't get carried away changing a bunch of drawings. I'm not understanding the work flow either, does this object just happen to be at the master files origin, or is that point labeled 0,0,0 just a reference point in the master where the object needs to be placed?

. . . . but I wonder if I can change the origin coordinates with it? . . . .

Yes. With a named UCS set to world ("TempUCS" for example) the Orthographic Views can be reset. This was the image I was suppose to include in my post above.

BetterLook.png

The OP says he has several drawings that exhibit this quirk. I wonder what he is doing differently? I've created many 3D drawings and don't ever recall having a similar problem. Could it be related to the use of the NAVVCUBE?

Could be a quirk with the navvcube, changing views with the menu command or the view manager does reset the UCS to the world origin, whereas the navvcube just changes the orientation without effecting the UCS position

It might be advantageous for the OP to determine at what point his 3D drawings start going awry so as to preclude introducing these types of anomalies in his drawings.

Definitely advantageous!

@ninja style: The point marked 0,0,0 is just a convenient point in the master drawing that I've picked out.

@ReMark & steven-g: I've never liked the Navcube b/c it's extra stuff on the screen, but I may have to start using it. I didn't realize that the toolbar/menu command was different functionally.