Help needed with .lin files please

A couple of questions regarding custom linetypes.

1. Is it better to add my custom linetypes to the .lin file AutoCAD uses or to my own separate file?

2. I found 2 locations where .lin files are stored, which is best?

One is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\UserDataCache\Support

Other: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\R18.2\enu\support

3. If I go to use Express Tools to create a .lin it chosses to save in this location:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English

I'm a little confused about what to do :unsure::?

Thanks in advance.

Let me preface this by saying that I have never done anything with custom linetypes but this is usually best practice.

As long as AutoCAD can utilize more than one .lin files, I would create a separate file for custom linetypes. As for the location, I would use the first one. If AutoCAD cannot use more than one file. Make a copy of the default file and save that in a safe place before making any changes.

Yes, AutoCAD allows the user to load more than one .LIN file. You can use the BROWSE button to locate the file so it can be anywhere on your hard drive or network for that matter.

And keep in mind that linetypes are stored in the drawing, and you can even create and use linetypes without even writing a LIN file.

Having said that, if you do create your own LIN file, and load those linetype(s) in your template drawing(s), you could use DesignCenter to copy them around to older drawings (or drawings from others) from that point on.

We took the stock ACAD.LIN years and years ago and added our custom linetypes to it and just migrate this forward whenever we upgrade to a new version.

IOW, we are using the same 15 year old LIN file today, it's just stored in a separate location on the network and the ones that come with AutoCAD are just ignored.

Like others load a new version of Autocad up and it makes a new acad.lin so you have lost your linetypes if in acad.lin. Our custom linetypes are on the server and ready to use via a DWT.

Like others load a new version of Autocad up and it makes a new acad.lin so you have lost your linetypes if in acad.lin. Our custom linetypes are on the server and ready to use via a DWT.

To my knowledge there is only one acad.lin file. AutoCAD does not make a new one each time it is started.

To my knowledge there is only one acad.lin file. AutoCAD does not make a new one each time it is started.

I thought this too, but maybe he means when you upgrade to another version? :unsure:

For custom features is a good policy to avoid storing them in folders and/or files (i.e. adac.lin, acad20??.lsp) belonging to AutoCAD. Those may be replaced at a repair action or by a service pack installation or may be forgotten when AutoCAD is un-installed.

That's possible. The old acad.lin file might be overwritten as rkmcswain alluded to in an earlier post.

I think all custom content created by the user should go in a separate folder stored under the root drive of the computer. This folder would remain untouched during any upgrade or reinstalling of AutoCAD. The only thing the user should do is make sure the path to this folder is included in any serach AutoCAD does for support files. You know how to do that right?

If those features were to be used by more than one person, then the server storage (as already pointed by BIGAL) will simplify their management and ensure consistency.

I'll never name a custom file the same as any default file name and I'll store them on my C drive, and yes I know how to add support file search paths.

As for management and consistency, it seems that the people I work with aren't bothered about this kind of thing, nor the company in fact. Most tend to do things as they see fit and with bad habits too, I've given up trying to change that, so I'll probably keep the custom files for myself for now.