Template Problems

katto01

Hello,

Problem1. I configure a template, give it a name and save it as a dwt.

When I open a new drawing using the SAME dwt, all the customization is gone.

Any ideas why this happens? What am I missing?

Problem2. When I open a dwg within Autocad or by double clicking the dwg file on explorer, is there away to open with the specific template ?

I am using Autocad 2013 and 2014 on a Windows 7 64bit

Thank you

In Options > Files > Template Settings > Default Template File name for QNEW, Browse to your default template and select it. This will always be the template file your system uses when you first start the program or click the QNEW button above the Ribbon. If you ever want to use a different template go to the Application Menu and click New or type NEW at the command line.

Source: Dave Hein at the AutoCAD Discussion Groups.

Hello,

Problem1. I configure a template, give it a name and save it as a dwt.

When I open a new drawing using the SAME dwt, all the customization is gone.

Any ideas why this happens? What am I missing?

Problem2. When I open a dwg within Autocad or by double clicking the dwg file on explorer, is there away to open with the specific template ?

I am using Autocad 2013 and 2014 on a Windows 7 64bit

Thank you

1) Only certain customization is saved in a dwg or dwt file, IE: layer names, pagesetups, linetypes, styles,etc. What did you add that you expected to be there that was missing?

2) No, once a file is created the template is no longer used.

...When I open a new drawing

File>New to start a new dwg using a dwt, not Open. (it does say Open on the Select template screen, so I guess that is confusing)

Problem2. .... open with the specific template

Copy to new file dwg created with desired template and delete the old.

There might be a more sophisticated technique, but I don't use AutoCAD enough to remember.

Copy to new file dwg created with desired template and delete the old.

There might be a more sophisticated technique, but I don't use AutoCAD enough to remember.

This will bring in all the old drawing properties, layers and styles that are being used. Any match-up to the new template being copied into will only be a coincidence. One will have to manually change the drawing objects to the layers, properties, and styles of the new template after the copy. There just isn't a practical way to retro-fit a new template to an old drawing that I know of.