Layers standards

henryCADuser

Layers standards? I'd like to provide my team with layers standards for a project. How can i create a layers template to distribute among team? And can I later edit layers standard/template? Can it also change among the team? Or will I need to resend a updated layer file?

We have a template file located on a network drive so that it's available to everyone. And we don't have to worry about whether or not we have the most up to date template.

Also, there are standards tools within AutoCAD so you can check a drawing against the standards you have set up.

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/use-a-standards-file-to-bring-an-autocad-drawing-into-line/

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You can very easily save ANY drawing as a .dwt (template) file.

If at a later date you need to edit it, go to your template directory, open, edit and save it, and all is good.

The question of distribution to your team is well answered by CADgirl.

As is the possibility of using a STANDARDS (.dws) file after the fact to confirm adherence to the standards

which you deem important.

Thanks Cadgirl and Dadgad!

A network is to sophisticated for my start up business right now 8). I already have a drawing template set up already. When I start a new project/drawing, I use this template. In this template I have all my layers created (so far it has two discipline designators, i.e: Architectural and Structural layer names).

The question now is, can I edit the template [say, i want to add new layer discipline: Electrical layer names] and will it reflect on project CAD file(s) using the original template used at first?

• 1 month later...