Dynamic block not working in new drawing

darrellk-1

I built a dynamic block and did all the testing to insure it works correctly. I inserted it into the drawing that I built it in and it works as designed. However, when I insert it into another drawing, it is only a block. :??? Is there a option I need to turn on to let it work properly, or is there a special procedure to insert a dynamic block into a new drawing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darrellk-1

• ReMark

• Tuns

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just learned how to create a dynamic block and do the testing during construction. Nothing was noted about how to save or insert the block into your next drawing. It was just saved in my BLOCKS file as if it were a regular block. What do I do differently?

No, you don't save them differently.

I just tested one of my dynamic blocks and when exploded, after Insert, it functioned just as designed. Something else may be going on here.

Did you copy/paste as Tuns suggested?

Not yet. I have to recreate the dynamic block (again) and then give it a try. I'll do that now and get back to you guys. THANKS for the help so far.

Open the block in the block editor, under open/save pick save block as, in the dialog at the bottom left check the box for, save block definition to drawing file, pick the existing name in the list, proceed from there to pick a folder and save. Now insert it from that folder.

Not yet. I have to recreate the dynamic block (again) and then give it a try. I'll do that now and get back to you guys. THANKS for the help so far.

Why do you have to recreate it? I thought you saved it then tried to insert it into a new drawing. I did not want nor expect you to explode the original block!:o What I did expect you to do is insert the block into your new drawing THEN explode it.

Wait, I just remembered that I saved this as a Write block so I could access it for use in other drawings. If I save it as a Block, it is only good for that one drawing, correct? How would I access it if I were not in the drawing where it was created?

You can access your dynamic block that is in one drawing while you are in a second drawing via the Design Center. It is just a matter of dragging and dropping the block into your drawing. Have you ever used the Design Center?

Yes, you should have used WBlock if your intent was to create a block that could easily be inserted into other drawings or like I said, create a custom tool palette and put your dynamic block on that.

DesignCenterExample.jpg

The Design Center in action. In this example I have opened a piping diagram and asked to see the blocks contained within the drawing which appear on the right.

I really appreciate the help, and no, I haven't used the design center except for a few times. I will work with the DC and see if that will do the trick. Thanks guys.

You were asked if you could attach a copy of your dynamic block to a post so it could be looked at by others here. Are you going to do that?