First Post! Which Laptop?

jim007

Hi :)

Brief background; I completed City & Guilds 2D CAD Level 2 and Level 3 back in 2008/09 - I got a draughting job at a manufacturing company and worked there for a couple of years. Since then I have done other stuff to make a living but CAD is my passion!

My old CAD tutor introduced me to Inventor last year and I love it! I completed City & Guilds Inventor Level 1 and I'm booked to do Level 2 this September.

I really want to dive into Inventor now but what I need is a Laptop that can handle

it. I know eventually (when I'm 3D draughting for a living) I will need a laptop that'll be around £800 - £1000. Can anyone recommend a laptop that I can use for practising - the cheaper the better!

Any new laptop should work.

I recommend at least 8Gig of RAM.

I recommend a 17" min screen and full numeric keypad for CAD work.

I use an ALIENWARE M18.

My laptop is an almost 3-year-old Sandy Bridge i7 from Toshiba. Cost $650 when I bought it, and it runs Inventor just fine. If you're looking at 800-1000 GBP, you should have NO problem getting something that'll work just fine. Just make sure that you've got at least 8GB - like JD said - and get one that has a separate video card, not just the Intel HD graphics. 17" screen and a keypad, too - again, like JD said.

Do try and get a gaming laptop, though - they tend to have better cooling systems on board than standard consumer-grade laptops. I burnt up an HP Pavilion dv7 a couple years back running stress analysis with Inventor. Just pushed the temperatures too high for too long, and *pfft*, out came the magic smoke.

Lots of Ram and an i7 will do the trick I would not pay less than £800. It will aso depend what you want to do in Inventor.

1. Large assemblys 1000+ parts?

2. FEA.?

3 Rendering.?

What level are you wanting to use Inventor?

Any new laptop should work.

Well I would get one with a dedicated nvidia graphics card. Several comparrisons are showing Geforce cards out performing Quadro cards in Inventor. Shop around and do your research. cough Dell XPS 15 cough ;)