Lost SYSVDLG and OPTIONS settings

SAFeSTeR

Hi,

I've recently had a problem with my windows profile at work and they had to create a new one. When I first launched AutoCAD (2012) using the new profile it was with the default workspace. I found the old roaming folders and copied them across to my new windows profile, thankfully I got my old workspace back.

However, I have since noticed that all my previous settings in the SYSVDLG and OPTIONS have also reset. Seems my old profile didn't carry across, I tried searching for an .arg file but found nothing whatsoever. This isn't a major pain as I've just changed the settings as I encounter one, but still, it would be good to be able to find my old settings.

So a few questions, I think you know where I'm going with this:

1. Is it possible to retrieve my old SYSVDLG, OPTIONS and profile settings?

2. Is it a good or bad idea to move my .cuix file somewhere away from the windows user profile and point AutoCAD to it? Or is it better to keep it where it is by default and make a backup after I make changes to it? If possible, can the same be applied to the SYSVDLG, OPTIONS and user profile in case something like this happens again.

Ideally I'd like to be able to either move these files permanently to location of my choice, else a backup will have to do.

Also, any other info which will help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It is definitely a good idea to save your system variable settings, you can find the button for that in the bottom of the SYSVDLG box,

it will be a .svf. Might you have ever created such a file? If so, try a search for the file type, and see if you get lucky.

Thanks for the quick replies, you've helped a lot.

I searched for both .arg and .svf but returned nothing useful, certainly no files I created. The only .svf file I found was called defaults.sfv and the latest modified date was 2009, long before I even joined this company, so it probably came with the install, a restoration type file I guess.

I find it strange that no files exist with the settings I previously made, surely they must be somewhere, otherwise I'd have to change them everyday?

So now I've exported my profile, saved out my system variables and customisation file, I'll just have to remember to back them up whenever I make any changes. Does anyone know of any other files that it may be good to do the same with? For example, when I was looking through my OPTIONS - FILES [tab], I saw a custom dictionary file.

Thanks once again.

Had you at one time exported your original Profile?

You didn't reset AutoCAD via the Windows Start Menu (reset settings to default option) did you?

Had you at one time exported your original Profile?

You didn't reset AutoCAD via the Windows Start Menu (reset settings to default option) did you?

I can safely say 'no' to both these questions. As I stated before, I've searched my HDD for .arg files with no luck.

I can live with this though, I've made the important or obvious changes to my new profile, things like right click cutomisation, pick box size, drafting settings etc. Anything else that will need changing will be made as and when I encounter them so it's not a big deal.

Well that would explain why you did not find an .arg file. BTW....those settings are stored in the Registry I believe. The .arg file you export is basically a backup of those settings.

I've seen non-exported profiles get lost when a Windows profile needs to get reset. It used to happen on a regular basis here, yet not everyone saves their profile. Go figure.