dwg to pdf casuing crash

Kratos

I have some drawings that I am trying to publish to pdfs. The drawings contain aerials from google earth.

I can send them to an actual printer just fine but it crashes Civil 3D 2012 when I publish to pdf(using a page setup created for pdfs).

There really isn't anything different going on here than what I have done hundreds of times.

I am at a loss. :?

I've seen this before but it is usually the plotter that cannot handle the output but I have seen what you describe with drawings that contain images.

Are you using wipeouts?

What PDF driver are you using?

I have definitely made bigger pdf files than this before. i am not using wipeouts and i am using the dwg to pdf that is built in...

Now i am getting the same crash when i send it to the plotter. it's a HP T790.

Like i said, i have been able to plot drawings with larger images. we have had a 1g aerial attached to a set of plans. never had this problem.

One of the two files in question is only images. there is nothing else in the drawing.

Now the problem occurs before I plot. If I pan or zoom I am getting the crash. I am using Plexscape Earth to insert these images. I don't think I could post a file since there are many images that are attached.

Yeah, these problems have a way of getting worse with time. BTW, I don't use Civil 3D but do know there are things you can with it that I have no clue about. Hopefully one of the Civil guys will see this and can offer up some advice with those tools. For now, I'll try to walk you through the trouble shooting steps I would take.

How long have you been using Plexscape without any problems? (I'm not familiar with it at all.)

Let's focus on the one that is only images.

Do you have other files that have been set up in a similar fashion and are similar in size that do not crash?

Have you tried rebuilding the .dwg from scratch?

How about detaching all the images and reloading them one at a time to see if the crashes happen when inserting a specific image or maybe a certain number of images?

Can you reduce the resolution of the images?

Any other information you can give might prove to be helpful.

BTW, I had a great time playing GOW 1, 2, and 3. I played a free trial a few years ago and fell in love. Went and bought all three in a pack with a red PS3 controller.

I have used Plexscape for a few years and never had problems with it. It's a plugin that allows you to capture aerials from Google Earth and bring them into AutoCAD coordinately correct. It's a great tool for civil engineering and survey applications. In most cases, I am using the mosaic feature which stitches multiple images together.

I have some older files that I have done and those are not giving any problems. Some of them even contain more images than the ones I have the trouble with.

I rebuilt the drawings from scratch a couple of times but ended up with the same results.

I will try detaching them individually tomorrow.

I am not sure about the resolution. I don't think I can change that through Plexscape. Maybe in the individual image files.

I love me some God of War. obviously. :)

Right now, I am working on Bioshock.

In my experience, going backwards doesn't always help in tracking down the problem. Rebuild again, one image at a time to find out where the crashes start to happen. Once you narrow it down, you may have to try each image individually. It might not be the last image loaded that causes the crash.

I just got the PS4 and Assassins Creed IV. My first try at the series. Never realized how cool it was.

Now it just crashes as soon as I open the drawing file. This is happening on other machines and other versions of AutoCAD

I haven't had a chance to rebuild from scratch. Got some other things that came up.

ACIV is awesome. Best one of the series, IMO.

I think I might have found the problem.

When you create a mosaic of images from Plexscape, it will clip the images to the border that you specify. You can use a polyline as the boundary and the images will be clipped there.

I turned off the 'clip to boundary' and the drawings are working fine now.

So, my solution is obvious at this point, but why would these clipped images all of a sudden cause a problem??

At least you found a workaround.

The obvious answer is that there is something about the polyline that clip doesn't like. Maybe it's got a Z value at vertice(s), a gap in it, intersects itself...