Change color in Model space ONLY?- big SNAFU happened!

I have a layer for boiserie that needs to be printed out in a dark brown, but I can barely decipher it in Model Space on the black background. So, I've been tending to change the layer color to light brown just so I can see it.

Yesterday, I accidentally ordered 30 huge colored sheets with the wrong layer color!! :shock: What a waste! :oops:

Anyways, I know you can go into individual Viewports and can change a layer color one by one. My question is the inverse- I want to change the layer color ONLY for viewing purposes in Model, and for the layer to print out in its original dark color in ALL the viewports, as normal.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I am sure somebody who knows how, will be along soon to help you with this, but thought I should ask.

Have you considered changing the background color in Modelspace if this is a frequent issue?

I thought of that, too, but... I like black :( And if I change the Model Space color I'm sure some OTHER color won't show up... Good idea, though.

If you want the color to print out, on paper, different than what it is in model space edit your CTB or STB plot style. So, you could use a lighter color in model space for viewing purposes yet when printing have it appear much darker.

ReMark, is there any other method that doesn't involve messing with the CTB file? Because I'm not the only one using it, it's on our network and is consistent for everyone.

You should listen to Remark creating a custom plot file is only slightly harder than the line command. You click on the little box to the right of the plot file your using from the page setup manager adjust your colors click "save as" name it something and your done, don't really see how that's going off the radar. You came on here asking for help then when a solution is provided, an easy one at that, you turn it down?

Ski_Me-

The beauty of an online forum is that it's a way of getting a survey of what's possible, technically, and then deciding whether or not the solution is implementable. ReMark, Dadgad, Tiger, and many others have been invaluable resources to me, and 90% of the time I gratefully implement their fixes.

However, in this situation, the fix suggested would cause more trouble than just dealing with the inconvenience. The solution suggested is simple; I know how to alter a CTB file. However I'm in an office that doesn't have the most tech-savvy people, not to mention in partnership with another design firm abroad, and altering the CTB for tens of files that go between our offices each week (not to mention all of our consultants) would needlessly complicate an already complicated working relationship.

On another note, I don't appreciate your guilt-trip at the end of your message. It's ironic that you try to chastise me regarding online etiquette while violating it yourself.

Maybe what you need then is a custom lisp routine that would handle the change in multiple viewports across multiple layouts assuming that it is possible.

Oh baby, now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

except I don't know how to do LISPS, despite the other thread I started. I DID create my own Macro, though.

There is nothing that says you have to use a fix that you are given, awesome as it may be! Plenty of times I have asked questions, gotten perhaps the most incredible and correct and perfect solution in every way - but not implemented it because of x,y and z. And like Sbeth says, it's not always even oneself that is the issue, co-workers are not always on the same level as oneself.

In many ways, this forum is a think-tank where you can throw out an idea and see how other people interpret it - it is always a good place for discussions even if in the end, the solution can't be implemented. And that is the funnest part of belonging here - sometimes the discussions are amazing. Like the salmon-discussion which still lives in some members memory :wink:

Tiger, if I could "like" a comment I'd like yours...:thumbsup:

Not to mention, maybe I didn't implement the situation, but someone else might. I might have started a few threads, but I have gleaned so much info (and saved people from answering twice) just from browsing what's already been answered (not saying I'm perfect with this, sometimes I DO ask questions that have been asked).

Tiger, please do tell about this infamous salmon thread?

Without knowing the specifics...

If you're the extra cautious type, just create a model space leader that reads "Color is dark brown" every time you temporarily lighten the color. If you forget to change it back, at least the note is there. If you remember to change it back, you just delete the note at that moment.

Ski_Me-

The beauty of an online forum is that it's a way of getting a survey of what's possible, technically, and then deciding whether or not the solution is implementable. ReMark, Dadgad, Tiger, and many others have been invaluable resources to me, and 90% of the time I gratefully implement their fixes.

However, in this situation, the fix suggested would cause more trouble than just dealing with the inconvenience. The solution suggested is simple; I know how to alter a CTB file. However I'm in an office that doesn't have the most tech-savvy people, not to mention in partnership with another design firm abroad, and altering the CTB for tens of files that go between our offices each week (not to mention all of our consultants) would needlessly complicate an already complicated working relationship.

On another note, I don't appreciate your guilt-trip at the end of your message. It's ironic that you try to chastise me regarding online etiquette while violating it yourself.

Very well put, Sbeth. There are a lot of people here that don't realize that the OP may work in a collaborative environment and that their solution may be simple in a small office, it would require review and authorization before being implemented in a collaborative environment