Scale and pasting

stampan76

Hi,

I've just started using Autocad so what i'm asking is really simple. I've drawn an image in full scale and would like to add an architect template to it. I also need to print it on A3 paper, but when i paste the item into the A3 architect template, the image is massive.

How do i get it to fit??

Your drawing objects should have been drawn in model space, which you probably did. Now pick the layout tab and insert the A3 drawing border there with no scaling. Now you will create a view port with the mview command. Double click inside the boundary of the viewport and it will become active. Zoom, extents to show everything in model space. Now in the lower right is an annotation scale pull down, pick the scale you want to plot to. It should show your model inside the border, if it does then use the pan command to get it located where you like. Double click outside the boundary of the viewport to go back into paperspace. Now click once on the viewport edge, right click and find the viewport lock command, I don't remember the exact wording.

I hope that was easy enough.

hi. thanks for your reply. But i have no idea what you mean about model space!

Sorry, but would it help if i uploaded the files somewhere? One of them s 1.8mb and the website doesn't allow over 1.1.:shock:

What were the units of the source file (-dwgunits)?

What were the units of the destination file (-dwgunits)?

Can you erase most of the geometry except the outer "bounding box" geometry to save the files to smaller size and attach here?

In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder to reduce size further. Attach the resulting *.zip files here.

You have a template file that is 1.76MB? What the heck did you put in there? Seems unusually large.

Your 3D drawing isn't truly 3D. It appears to be a 2D isometric. I'm not even sure it needs to be an isometric given what is being shown.

You don't need to paste your detail into your template. Rather you would insert your template into your detail on Layout1 and use a single viewport to see it. Viewports are merely windows that allow us to see the objects we created back in model space. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to.

Are there more details going into your drawing?

Did you have a scale in mind for your detail?

There are a few anomalies in your drawing of the foundation detail (not referred to as an "image"). You might want to take another look at it.

Are you a student?

Have you taken an AutoCAD class or are you self-taught?

Edited by ReMark

It took some measure of effort to reproduce your drawing as seen in the image below. The magenta rectangle you see is your viewport through which can be viewed your model space objects. The notes in the upper right hand corner are actually in the layout and not over in model space. The viewport scale has been set to 1:10 and the viewport display has been locked so the scale would not be inadvertently changed if one were to choose to work through the viewport in model space. This means you can't zoom and pan however inside the viewport without first unlocking it.

Both the template and the isometric foundation drawing you provided are in need of some serious reworking as there are a number of things that aren't quite right. If you have any questions please ask.

IsometricFoundationDetail.jpg

The file size of the actual drawing now stands at 172KB including the template.

stampan76, that template file was a bit of a mess, objects floating out way away from the border, the border was made with splines instead of plines or lines, etc.

Normally you would start a file from a template that has a border in it, but since you didn't do that I saved the template file as a .dwg file. Then in the detail drawing I went to the layout and inserted the border drawing. Then created a viewport (MVIEW) and adjusted the scale to 1:20 just to show it without it taking up the whole drawing. Not sure what scale you would need.

You will want to study up on model space and layouts, follow the link provided earlier. We all started at zero and went from there so keep plugging away.

Good luck.

3d foundation2.dwg

It probably would have been better if the OP corrected his own problems but what the hey....it's Christmas and presents are always fun to open.

+1 more for the count :)