Need help with a file created on server.....

hoss

Hi,

I have received three revit files that have been created by another company (our sub-contractor).

It looks like the files have been created on a central server and several users worked on them ( I guess, different department done different principles, as the files contain mechanical, electrical and building design).

Revit Links in project Browser shows that each files is linked to the other two ( same in all three!!!!????:?)

The linked files do not load, no matter what I do. I have re-saved each filed individually and still no joy.

I have only recently started learning Revit and still not very comfortable with it, still get confused and think in CAD (looking for model space :oops:)

Need some help with understanding of views and permissions.

Thanks for your help in advance

This is the most confusing part for people just starting out with Revit. "Worksharing" is what you're experiencing. Any file that has Worksharing enabled, Revit then converts the model as a "Central Model" which allows 2 or more people to access this model via a "Local Copy". It's really quite genius actually.

So here's your first step... what you need to do is "Detach from Central". Read this:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-2B3E48F7-96A3-4379-BF6B-538D8C9ED5EF

As you are following those steps to Detach from Central, Revit will pop up a warning, asking you to "Preserve Worksets" or "Discard Worksets". If you select the "Discard" then you've just converted the Worksharing Model to a normal Revit model, that works just like any other file. Now you can save it, and relink everything and it's all gravy.

You cannot open Revit Central Models from Windows Explorer. Right now, today, this very minute, you need to get into the habit of opening Revit first, and THEN browsing for Revit models through the Revit Open Dialog. This is how you know if a Revit model is a Central Model or a regular non-workshared Revit Model.

The reason for this is that Revit is not just a CAD application, it's also a Project Management application. So everything needs to happen "inside" of Revit.

Post back if you need more assistance.

-Tannar

Thank you very very much, You are my hero :D

You helped me out with AutoCAD MEP when I started it couple of years ago

I have purchased a book, but been far too busy to start reading it, but I guess I have to start it sooner than later

Thanks alot

Glad to help.

Revit is a different animal, especially if your background is AutoCAD. Just like you mentioned in your first post, "looking for model space". Well, there is no model space. Not in the same way as AutoCAD. There's a "model" and you create Views of the model. Things like that.