Copying Large Amounts Of Objects

Guest Trekiez

Guest Trekiez

When copying a large amount of obects (i.e. moving a set of points obtained from a DXF file for a Feature & Level), the crosshair disappears and the screen appears frozen until I click again. The only problem is when I click, the objects I copy past in a place where I don't necessarily want them to (The place is determined by where my crosshair is, which is hidden on my screen). Is there a fix for this? I can right click to bring up *invalid move* which then lets me see my crosshair, but this gets annoying.

~ Using AutoCAD 2014. This also happens on Civil 3D 2010, which I use for contouring.

How many objects are we talking about?

You are copying to the Clipboard right?

How big is your hard drive? How much free space is available? How much RAM is installed? Do you let Windows manage your virtual memory or have you tweaked it yourself?

Guest Trekiez

It usually happens when copying at least 600+ objects (In drafting that is quite easy, considering when each point is obtained from a DXF it has 3 objects -Raw Description, Point Number and Elevation).

Yes I am using the Right-click>Clipboard>copy method.

As for the computer specs, I'm not entirely sure since I've been given one at work and this is the only computer I use to draft. I have checked before though and I believe there is 4GB RAM and a 465GB Hard Drive. As for Windows handling my virtual memory, I'm not too sure about that. I started working a few months after they bought this computer.

Pasting to original Co-Ordinates is not what I want to do, as I am moving a set of points that will always be based around (1000,5000 - Using Metric) to a set of points obtained through a GPS.

Try copying 100,000+ points the simplest way was to wblock the layers required insert the new dwg at 0,0 and explode purge out the temp block. the clipboard is very unreliable with big data sets the memory limits being the obvious problem. The other way is to make a xml Export and then Import it.

Guest Trekiez

I usually put the two set of data into a 2010 contour file, align them, then export them to make a merged points file.

It's not a major problem just a nuisance.

I wouldn't say I've copied over 100,000 points in a file as of yet, but definitely somewhere up around 12000 mark.

It's probably something I'll just have to put up with if it's a memory problem, considering it would use huge amounts of memory to copy that many points.

I would tweak around with memory settings and handling settings, but it's a work computer that I don't own, I'd rather leave it 'as is'.

Thanks again for the help!