Delete key not working??

One of our engineers has come to me saying that his delete key has stopped working

he can erase objects using "E" or the erase button but cant erase using the delete key

the key will work in other programmes and will work in the command line so its not the keyboard so I'm stumped any ideas?

• 1 year later...

I'm running AutoCAD 2008 with Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro using a program called 'Parallels'. Everything works pretty smoothly but the 'delete' key does not work as a substitute for erase. I'm aware of PICKFIRST and Noun/verb selection (one and the same?) but neither effect the delete key in this case. Any suggestions?

I don't run Autocad on a Mac, but I found this response on another forum.

You're running windows on a mac that's why, has nothing to do with AutoCAD.

Hold the FN key on your keyboard, and press DELETE.

I just researched this, its because on Mac platform the "delete" key performs both as backspace and delete. So when you crossover or do parallels or whatever onto Windows the keyboard's default function for the delete key is "backspace"; you have to press FN+Delete to toggle from "backspace" to "delete."

Or just use the Erase command. ;)