prime333

How do I snap from center of a circle?

prime333

Hello there I'm just wondering how I would snap to the center of a circle like the picture below? If I wanted to snap 500 units from the center of the circle and add a new object how would I do that?

circle.jpg

steven-g

Take a look at modifiers, in particular "from"

prime333

What modifiers? How do I find them?

ReMark

Command: L

LINE

Specify first point: from

Base point: pick the center of your circle (make sure OSnaps are on)

Now place your cursor on the side of the circle where you want the line to go.

: 50 (type in your distance); this will be the starting point of your line. Continue with the command.

"From" and "MTP" (Mid-to-Point) are said to be command modifiers as they can only be used AFTER a command has been started. They are not commands in and of themselves.

RobDraw

Object Snap Tracking can do it, also.

steven-g

point filters are another really good way of locating things, in relation to other objects. I remember struggling to understand them, but I use it all the time now, the Autocad help files do give good examples.

rkent

First turn OSNAP on, using the button at the bottom of the screen (I have the names displaying instead of the icons, if you are using icons it is the 6th one from the right), right click, go into settings and make sure Center is one of the choices.

Turn on OTRACK (8th icon from the right).

Start a command, now move the cursor over the edge of the circle, then move to the center of the circle, you will see an indication that you have acquired a point (at this point you have not picked a point). Now move the cursor in the direction desired making sure the rubber band line is showing for a direction of zero degrees, or whatever is desired, type in 500 and hit enter.

SAFeSTeR

[/i]"From" and "MTP" (Mid-to-Point) are said to be command modifiers as they can only be used AFTER a command has been started. They are not commands in and of themselves.

Do you mean M2P (Mid Between 2 Points)? I looked for mid to point in my CUI but found nothing.

EDIT: Just tried MTP and found it does exactly the same as M2P. I guess it could mean 'mid between two points' rather than 'mid to point', but that would be a minor detail :)

JD Mather

Looks to me like object tracking is the easiest method, but there is certainly nothing wrong with creating construction geometry. I create more construction geometry now than I did back on the drawing board. (and don't erase it - it might come in handy in the future, simply put it on a hidden layer)

Organic

Are 'modifiers' another name for osnaps?

rkent

All Osnaps are command modifiers but there are command modifiers that are not Osnaps, IE: M2P, From, tracking, XYZ filters.